Depot Inn & Suites
US$120
US$116
ComfortInn
US$73
All reviewstrain memorabiliarailroad themewatch trainslove trainstrain enthusiastssouthwest chieftruman state universitycrown moldingthemed hotelgreat place to staytrain stationindoor poolcontinental breakfastmeeting roomlookout pointthe entire hotelwaffles
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A small, one level, hotel on the edge of a small town ... or is it a railroad museum with rooms and a pool. Everywhere I looked was clean, even all the railroad memorabilia (authentic antique memorabilia, not kitchy reproductions) lining the hallway. The furnishings in the room were clean and functional, the plush leather rocking chair was very comfortable, the bed was firm enough without being too firm. The linens on the bed and in the bathroom were clean. The minifridge and microwave are quite small; I had no reason to use them but expect they work. The TV worked and had a good selection of cable channels.

My room faced the highway, but at least the night I was there, it was not busy with trucks, and even the few that went by could only be heard near the window. Occasionally I could (just barely) hear the trains blowing their horns. The heater/AC was functional and though not whisper quiet, not loud enough to disturb me (or cause me to raise the volume on the TV).

For breakfast I noticed mainly dry cereal, cellophane wrapped pastries, apples and bananas, and the waffle maker. I was meeting relatives in Kirksville for breakfast, so only grabbed a couple of items for my long drive back to Indiana that afternoon.

I arrived late in the evening, so I didn't need to worry about supper; but other than the Mexican restaurant next door, you'd probably need to go 10-15 miles into Kirksville to find a restaurant, especially if you just want fast food. If it's Friday, try Bakers Smokehouse (on the square) for supper; or Tues-Sat for lunch; enjoyed great barbecue for lunch on a previous trip in March 2018.

My only complaint: the temperature you set on the heater seems to be the temperature at which it turns on and starts heating the room; rather than the temperature to keep the room at. I had it set on 68, and it felt like it ran until the room temperature was 75 and then shut off and let it settle back to 68 before starting up again.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Ceema D, Owner at Depot Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Your glowing review has brought smiles to our faces. It is a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests.

Our staff take great pride in their work and I know they will be very pleased to hear your comments. Much thought and consideration was dedicated to the design and layout of our Railroad themed hotel and we are glad you enjoyed it. Your kind description as to what one can expect when visiting the Depot Inn and Suites is highly appreciated.We appreciate you bringing the heater issue to our attention, so we we can fix it right away.

Please be assured that we value your time to post your review and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Depot Inn & Suites when your travels bring you back to Kirksville Area.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel is very clean, well maintained, with a knowledgeable and friendly staff. Just 10 minutes from Kirksville. I always stay at this hotel when visiting family. Very quiet area. The train theme is very interesting even though I am not a train enthusiast. The heated indoor pool is an added bonus for relaxing in the evening before turning in.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!!! Loyal Repeat Guests like you make our jobs so much more rewarding! So glad that you appreciate everything that we do here. We have found that it's in the details that we can truly make our guests feel welcomed and comfortable; this starts with a smile when you walk in the door and is followed up with quality beds, linens, and pillows in each and every room. The luxurious, railroad-themed lodging experience with modern amenities at Depot Inn & Suites is unparalleled in NE Missouri. We can't wait to welcome you back at Depot Inn & Suite!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The hotel is very clean and the staff was very helpful. The breakfast is lacking in any protein. The train antiques were fun to look at. I was depending on other reviewers opinions and was not disappointed.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank 452jjohnson

Thank you so much for taking time to review our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We have an excellent staff who works diligently to make sure that every guests stay is a memorable one. I am glad to hear you were able to enjoy museum aspect of the hotel. Our breakfast do have some high protein choices like greek yogurt and peanut butter. I am sorry to hear that it was not sufficient for your needs.We do appreciate your input to help us improve. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Depot Inn & Suites!!!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Beautiful and historical hotel. All staff members were courteous and patient, and the stay was reasonably priced. The room was cozy and clean, and the bed was not an uncomfortable brick like some hotels.

Loved the train history, and all the little hobo symbols on each room door; I learned something quirky and fun!

I would highly recommend this hotel, and would definitely stop here again.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. It is a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our first time staying here although had heard good things from friends. Our stay was for a short birthday getaway. We are thinking about making this a birthday tradition. It's railroad themed motif and museum quality displays make this perfect for anyone who likes trains.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! We are glad to hear that you want to make it a birthday tradition. We truly appreciate your kind remarks and it means a lot to us. Our hotel is themed after an 1800's railroad depot and is home to an extensive collection of train artifacts and memorabilia, making it a great place for train enthusiasts or novices to stay. Thank you again for staying and we are looking forward seeing you in the future.