2,019 results
All reviews craig walter concierge floor reuben front desk club level love this hotel self parking plaza lounge slang alameda valet balconies conference bellman ballroom renovation
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 October 2020

We had high expectations when we reserved honeymoon suite for three nights. Those expectations were quickly dashed. The entire hotel is showing signs of lack of maintenance, including our room which featured leaky dripping faucet, certainly not the cleanest bathroom, and very spartan furniture. For about $500 per night, it is grossly overpriced. After the first night, we elected to cancel the third night and were told at the desk that it would be fine and not charged. However, when I checked out, the clerk said the bill would be emailed to me. It was not. I accessed it through the IHG website and was shocked to find that not only was I charged for all three nights, but also an additional for parking fees, and extras. Numbers approximated, but my total bill was $1870. In looking closer, it looks like they charged me for Tuesday night, while my reservation clearly did not start until Wednesday.

Parking garage was filthy to boot and I had to pay $20 a night for it.

I called the hotel this morning in an attempt to straighten this out, but nobody ever bothered to call me back.

A 100% crappy experience for which we had planned as a pleasant honeymnoon.

1  Thank James G
Don Breckenridge, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2020

Dear James G,

First of all, congratulations on your wedding.

We never want to disappoint any guest, and certainly not ones who are celebrating their honeymoon with us. Please accept my apologies.

Reading your review is the first I am hearing of any issues with your stay or with the billing. I’d be more than happy to discuss these things with you. The best way to contact me is at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Once again, congratulations and best wishes!

Reviewed 26 October 2020

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend trip to the Plaza with my friends in early October and we all had a great time! From the moment we arrived and to the second we left we were greeted by friendly staff who helped us with everything. We stayed on the wing side of the building where we had an amazing view of the Plaza and its stores, being able to plan out our shopping route for the day. The amenities of this hotel are also a huge plus, and we cannot wait to come back for trip number 2. I most definitely recommend visiting this great part of KCMO, and highly encourage everyone to not stay anywhere else!

Date of stay: October 2020
Don Breckenridge, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2020

Dear fionamcmanus27,

Thank you for choosing the InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza for your recent weekend trip with your friends.

We’re glad you enjoyed the service from our team. The Wing section of the hotel is my personal favorite as I enjoy the additional square footage inside the room, and I really like the fact that the private balconies in the Wing are large enough to accommodate a small table and two chairs.

We’re thrilled to hear there will be a trip number 2! If I may be of assistance in making any plans, please do not hesitate to contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Please know we appreciate your recommendation of the hotel to other travelers.

Reviewed 21 October 2020

I booked a room on the concierge level for my wife’s birthday. A medical situation arose which prevented us from using the room. At booking I was NOT informed that there was a requirement of THREE DAYS notice to cancel, NOR was I informed that there WERE NO SERVICES OR AMENITIES on the concierge floor. I. called the morning of our reservation to cancel. I was THEN told about their “policies”. I have contacted the management on numerous occasions and I have been told is that in order for them to even consider a refund ($270+) I would have to have my Doctor write them a letter! It is obvious that their policies shift to match their needs. My advice would be to avoid this hotel, there are too many other great hotels in Kansas City!

Room tip: Go somewhere else
2  Thank Len-KC
Don Breckenridge, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2020

Dear Len-KC,

For the benefit of those reading this review, below is a factual account of what occurred.

On the afternoon of October 9, you cancelled your reservation for arrival on October 9. To avoid the cancellation fee, the reservation needed to be canceled prior to 6:00 p.m. the day before arrival. This information would have been communicated to you when the reservation was made. I don’t know of any hotel in the United States that does not have a cancellation policy. They are an industry standard.

When you telephoned the hotel on October 9 to cancel the reservation, it was explained to you a cancellation fee would be charged due to the late cancellation. That same day, you spoke with our Front Office Manager who reiterated the cancellation fee would apply. At this point, you informed our Front Office Manager you were cancelling due to a medical issue and asked that the fee be waived. The Front Office Manager explained to you that if you would like to have your Doctor or Nurse provide a note stating you needed to cancel the reservation for a medical issue, we would be happy to review it and take it into consideration when determining if the fee would be waived. You then forwarded the hotel an e-mail from your Doctor’s office which said in keeping with their new standard procedure, all patients needed to be screened for COVID-19 two days prior to their Doctor’s appointment. It said your screening would be on October 26. Our Front Office Manager explained to you that an e-mail from your medical care provider confirming your October 28 appointment would not exempt you from the cancellation fee.

You telephone me on October 15. At that time, I explained to you that if you wanted the hotel to consider waiving the cancellation fee you would need to provide the hotel with a note from your Doctor’s office stating that due to a medical issue, you needed to cancel your reservation.

On October 20, you sent me an e-mail stating the hotel’s request was unconscionable and highly unreasonable. I responded back confirming the hotel would most certainly consider waiving the cancellation fee with a note from your Doctor’s office stating that due to a medical issue, you needed to cancel your reservation. There was not a response to my e-mail.

The hotel has acted in a similar fashion many times when guests request an exception to the cancellation policy for medical reasons. In my 11 years at the hotel, no guest, until now, has refused to provide a note from their medical care provider. I don’t recall any instance where the hotel did not waive the fee when the note was provided. It is the hotel’s position that the note simply confirming an appointment later this month does not warrant an exception. We regret that you disagree, and that you refused to provide the requested information. We now consider the matter closed.

Reviewed 13 October 2020

I've been staying at this hotel for 15 years when I stay in KC. The service is spot on from the greeting at check-in to maid service. The Manager takes time to greet guests throughout the hotel and inquires about their stay. The hotel has not missed a beat when it comes to safety and cleanliness during COVID. I feel very safe there. The hotel has gorgeous rooms with balconies that overlook the Plaza. If you are going to KC I highly recommend this hotel!

Date of stay: October 2020
Don Breckenridge, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2020

Dear vickimc13,

First of all, thank you for your loyalty to the hotel over the years! We are fortunate to have so many guests who have called the InterContinental Kansas City their home away from home for many years, which is something we value a great deal and will never take for granted.

Safety and cleanliness are always top priorities, and they are certainly more important than ever now. Many efforts and steps have been taken to ensure guests feel safe at the hotel while COVID-19 is still a concern, so we’re glad you felt very safe during your last experience.

We all look forward to your next visit. Whenever I may be of service during any future stays, please do not hesitate to contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com!

Reviewed 7 October 2020 via mobile

I made my reservation with the wrong dates by mistake and immediately called IHG elite members customer service and they were able to refund the points, however Intercontinental Kansas City charged a cancellation fee. I had reached out to them 4-5 times/ left multiple voice messages/ left messages w/ front desk to the GM requesting a refund or that they contact me and never received a call back/feedback/action. The front desk said the accounting dept. had been furloughed so the GM Don B. would get back to me. It’s unfortunate about the furlough but after 16 days and nothing.... that’s very unprofessional. Now you have lost future customer(s). We will NOT be staying as planned at this poorly managed IHG.

Date of stay: September 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
Don Breckenridge, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2020

Dear MayMarie C,

Please know that reading your review is the first I am learning of this situation. You indicate you contacted the front desk and asked them to have me call you. Unfortunately none of these messages were forwarded to me, which is unusual. Please accept my apologies. You did not contact me directly as my voice mail is checked multiple times each day.

If you would like to review this matter, please feel free to contact me directly at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.