Review Highlights
Trout fishing guide extraordinaire

We had a great trip with John Sappington! Not only is he a heck of a guide but he is pleasant to... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Jim W
Norman, Oklahoma
Wonderful fishing experience with John Sappington!

We had a wonderful time fishing with John Sappington! It was COLD (32 degrees), but that didn’t... read more

Reviewed 30 December 2023
Crystal H

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Branson
from $66.22
from $23.41
from $203.89
from $41.77
More Info
All reviews john sappington trout fishing lake taneycomo fly rod caught lots of fish brown trout bass fished knowledge
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 May 2023

My wife and I have fished with guides all over the US including Alaska. John Sappington is the abslute best. It is not a question of whether you will catch trout with John. It is a queston of how many and how big. We fished two days with John in April. My wife landed a beautiful 23 inch brown trout. It was too big for her to hold. I cought an 18 incher and a 21 inch rainbow. We stopped counting the number cought both days. A big plus is that John is a charming host and a great family man. It's a pleasure to spend time on the water with him.

Date of experience: April 2023
Reviewed 8 March 2022

John took care of everything once I arrived. He sought out the best fishing spots and we caught lots of fish. He taught me a thing or two while doing so also. I would highly recommend using his guide services. Well worth the money.

Date of experience: March 2022
Reviewed 26 May 2021

First, I have had the fortunate opportunity to fish with numerous fishing guides in the continental US as well as internationally targeting various species in both freshwater and saltwater - largemouth and smallmouth bass, walleye, trout, northern pike, musky, bonefish, redfish, baby tarpon, speckled trout, barracuda, etc. By no means am I an expert at fishing, but I do have some fishing knowledge, extremely enjoy fishing, and try at every opportunity to negotiate with my wife/family a day or two while on vacation to wet a line.

To that end, I have to say John Sappington is one of the BEST Fishing Guides that I have had the pleasure to fish with!!! As a previous bass fishing pro, John approaches his guide service on Lake Taneycomo with the utmost integrity and respect for the rules, dissects the weather and water conditions to modify the rig presentations to maximize the bite and put the most trout in the boat, and he is just a fun person to spend 4 hours or more with especially if you like his dry/sarcastic sense of humor.

In the end, the results speak for itself. Over the course of 4 hours, we netted 32 trout and I lost about a dozen more due to my poor setting of the gray scud fly...all catch and release!! You do the math...42 trout over the course of 4 hours on a small gray scud fly drifting on the bottom of Lake Taneycomo...that's about a bite every 6 minutes!! His has premium equipment for his clients and a nicely maintained boat.

You gotta give him a ring to set up some time while you are out in Branson, MO!!

Reviewed 23 May 2021

John did a great job teaching my son and I--our first experience with a fly rod. We had a terrific morning catching trout!

Reviewed 10 May 2021 via mobile

This was my third time fishing with John, and as always another excellent trip. When I come to Branson and want to go trout fishing there’s only one person to call. His name is John Sappington. His technical expertise and patience is the best.