Review Highlights
Trout fishing guide extraordinaire

We had a great trip with John Sappington! Not only is he a heck of a guide but he is pleasant to... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Jim W
Norman, Oklahoma
Wonderful fishing experience with John Sappington!

We had a wonderful time fishing with John Sappington! It was COLD (32 degrees), but that didn’t... read more

Reviewed 30 December 2023
Crystal H

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Branson
from $66.22
from $23.41
from $203.89
from $41.77
More Info
All reviews john sappington trout fishing lake taneycomo fly rod caught lots of fish brown trout bass fished knowledge
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

My husband and I booked a trip with John in May. It was incredible! I have ptsd and pretty much scared of my own shadow. John was being a gentleman and tried to help me in the boat. I got a bit spooked. I can't stand to be touched. By mid trip John had me laughing and giving him high fives!! I caught some awesome size trout! One was a 23" brown trout. My husband and I caught a lot of trophy fish. If you want to catch fish for eating, be sure to let him know. We came back with our limit, and John cleaned them.
We are planning another trip down that way early fall and fishing with John is definitely on the schedule! I told my husband to give me the dates as soon as possible so I can book John. He books up quick. There is a reason for it. He is a great guide and an all around great person.
One thing I really admire about him is his dedication to conservation and preserving the trout fishing. All trophy fish are photoed and released unharmed. You will have plenty of fish to eat as well if that is what you want. But leave the big fellas so another can enjoy the thrill of landing the BIG one!

Date of experience: May 2016
1  Thank Stacey H
Reviewed 18 August 2016 via mobile

My 7 year old son and I went trout fishing on Lake Taneycomo with guide John Sappington (on 8/17/16) and had a fantastic time!

This was my second trip with John and I couldn't ask for a better captain to teach us new things and put us in the fish.

John is professional, patient, funny and willing to impart knowledge to those wishing to up their fishing game.

Between the two of us, my son and I boated around 40 trout with a good number of them over 2lbs.

I highly recommend fishing with John and would do so again.

Reviewed 7 August 2016

My daughter and I had an amazing trout fly fishing trip with John last week. First of all, John is personable, ultra-competent, and very funny and entertaining. He kept us on the fish from the very start, and he quickly adapted to changing conditions to keep us on the fish for the entire six hour trip. We caught mostly rainbows, but a few browns in VERY nice sizes and in numbers that we agreed not to disclose to the general public. ;) We certainly plan to fish with John on our next trip!!!

1  Thank David R
Reviewed 6 August 2016

It was fantastic!! Our family went with John Sappington at Cooper creek and caught 43 fish and most of them were large. John was very informative and made it very interesting. I would recommend it for all ages. It is a great opportunity for having fun times with your family. John knows his fishing techniques and is a lot of fun to be with. You don't even need to know how to fish and he will have you catching fish. Myron Koehn

Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

This was our first fly fishing experience. Thanks to John, it was everything we could have asked for and more!!! He was very knowledgeable and awesome at giving instruction. We had a blast!!! If you are in Branson, a guided trip with John as your guide is a MUST!!!! I've been on many fishing trips and this was by far the BEST!!!!