Hotels.com
Priceline
Go to your Happy Price
maxtedandlily
Melbourne, Australia

Lovely setting for a hotel

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 29 Dec 2023via mobile
This was the hotel after the second day of walking and it was a nice place to rest. The hotel is a bit tired but very clean with amazing views. Staff were friendly. Much smaller menu than Furneaux Lodge but very good food. A nice beach to swim in and a hot tub and a pool as well. Again the walkers lunch was not great and a rip off at $29. Great views from the balcony of most rooms and the bar!
Date of stay: December 2023
Trip type: Travelled solo
Paula Kawasaki, General Manager at Punga Cove Resort, responded to this review
Responded 15 Apr 2024
Hello,
We appreciate your stay with us, and your feedback. We value our guests feedback to better our service in the future.
Thank you.
19.5 km from Punga Cove Resort
22.5 km from Punga Cove Resort
21.9 km from Punga Cove Resort
Free parking
Impossible not to relax completely on the deck of the self contained units. And you should see t
28.3 km from Punga Cove Resort
46.2 km from Punga Cove Resort
  • Hotels.com
  • Algotels
7.2 km from Punga Cove Resort
Pool
View more hotels in Punga Cove
All reviews queen charlotte track drying room packed lunch steep hill qc track great setting hot tub spa pool marlborough sounds water taxi mountain biking mussels self catering cafe bar chalet jetty accommodation
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 May 2023

The accommodation is pretty basic but clean. Given the huge number of sandflies at this location I think fly screens would be warranted.
I wanted to review the restaurant. I had the fish chowder which was heavenly. Full after only half the bowl I just had to finish it all lest I suddenly die tomorrow having left half a bowl of the most delicious food ever. High praise but we had been walking all day!
This place should not be confused with its abominable cousin at Furneaux Lodge whose food was practically inedible (despite walking all that day too!). Strangely, the coffee was great xcellent at Furneaux while only okay at Punga.
The swimming here is chilly at 13/14C but I felt so fabulous when I got out. Be very careful if the sand flies… I was covered in the local repellant and yet they happily landed in my unsuspecting legs and took to them with great zeal. 2 days later I am scratching like crazy.
But that food. Congratulations on nabbing your new chef guys - fingers crossed she can shake up Furneaux also.

Room tip: Even the breakfast is an excellent at Punga - not a weight watching option!
Date of stay: April 2023

Hello lesleysW6480WZ,

We all appreciate you taking the time to write this review, I will be sure to pass this onto the team. I appreciate that the sandfly's do put a dappen on such a lovely location at times and will be sure to look into fly screen options moving forward. We are very lucky to have an amazing Kitchen & Front of House team to cater for our wonderful guests. Look forward to welcoming you back next visit.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 19 April 2023

Our group of 15 syayed at Punga Cove on our second night walking the Queen Charlotte track. We ate at the restaurant and had an absolutely beautiful meal. The service was friendly and efficient. Several of us had the seafood chowder which we couldn't fault, delicious! The chef said it was a new menu and the kitchen staff had only been there 2 weeks. The meals were beautifully presented and enjoyed in this stunning part of the country.

Hello pandkbevin,

I'm delighted to hear your group of 15 enjoyed your time with us in the Marlborough Sounds, and to hear that the food was a highlight is fantastic. The entire team look forward to welcoming you back next visit.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 17 April 2023

Stayed here on the first night of the Queen Charlotte Track, after mountain biking from Ship Cove. The staff were terrific - friendly and helpful. The view over the cove is beautiful. The facilities were old but clean, dry and comfortable. The restaurant food was excellent! Seriously, I was blown away by the taste, quality and presentation. I would take the water taxi here just for the evening meal!

Room tip: Perfect spot for first night on Queen Charlotte Track from Ship Cove end.
1  Thank LiDaGe

Hi LiDaGe,

So lovely of you to take the time to review your stay here at Punga Cove. I know my team are delighted to hear this amazing feedback and I will no doubt share this with them. We welcome you back anytime!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 11 April 2023 via mobile

There are several options for staying in the Sounds and Punga came highly recommended.

It is a steep resort so do expect a workout to and from your accom and the various facilities.

I wanted my own ensuite so ended up
With one of the two huge chalets that sleep 7 with its own kitchen, hidden loft room and wrap around balcony.

I loved it.

There was even a spa bath (which I made use of obvs!).

The only option for food was the restaurant (beach cafe was being rebuilt). The menu was short but the food was pretty poor really. Not really seasoned, some odd choices (deep fried mussel anyone?) and overall a bit of a letdown.

Appreciating this is a resort based around the impressive activities in the Sounds I was still a little surprised to find alcohol stopped being served around 8:30pm.

Access onto queen Charlotte trail is easy, the resort offers kayaks as well to explore the cove.

Weirdly I never saw anyone in the pool!

Room tip: You need to be fit
Trip type: Travelled solo

Hello D4004HFmikeg,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us in the beautiful Marlborough Sounds. We are so pleased to hear that your room was suitable to your requirements allowing you to fully relax in our surroundings, nothing like a hot spa after a long day of walking. We have since addressed the shortened Lunch offerings which are proving to be a huge success, we all hope you have a chance to revisit and experience this with us in the future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 26 March 2023

Disappointing – ordinary food no tap beer
We had an awesome room up a steep driveway - great elevated outlook over the beautiful sounds...BUT... if we'd known the problems at Punga Lodge we would have stayed at Furneaux Lodge two nights rather than splitting it one night in each

Date of stay: January 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Thank Barbara and Gra... C
Brent Stander, General Manager at Punga Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2023

Dear BarbGrae
Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We take all of our guests comments on board and use as a tool to benchmark oursleves, we will liaise with our punga team and ensure we are providing quality food and a range of suitable products. Our aim is to ensure all guests leave recommending us and apologise this was not the case for your stay with us at Punga Cove Resort.