“Majestic and Beautiful Basilica”

Basilica of St. Mary
Ranked #6 of 237 things to do in Minneapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Nation's First Basilica
Reviewed 8 August 2018

Visited the Basilica as a break during my visit to the Loring Park Art Festival across the street. The Basilica is a majestic and beautiful worship space both inside and out. The architecture and artwork is amazing. You feel very serene and peaceful while walking around the nave and the apse. If you need to escape the madness of midtown Minneapolis and find a peaceful place to pray and meditate, the Basilica is the right place.

1  Thank djpick
"across the street"
"catholic"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed 7 August 2018

I have visited many basilia's around the world, and this one ranks with the best. Certainly one of the very best I have seen in this country.

They have done a fantastic job maintaining this historic building and it is definitely worth popping in to take a look when you're in town.

1  Thank Bethoresen
Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

Definitely spend some time in this historic building. It is beautiful! I appreciated the ability to walk around and view the stained glass windows, religious statues, and spend time in prayer.

1  Thank randall1025
Reviewed 25 July 2018

Starting when I was a college student in Minneapolis in 1954-55 I attended mass at this beautiful Basilica. I lived up in Kenwood and I was able to slide down the hill on Mt Curve, walk through the parade ground, and cross Hennepin, and Lyndale street at the light. Progress has changed all that with the march of time. The White Castle on the corner is only a memory. However, the beauty and majesty of the Basilica have not. Yes, they have renovated it to make it safer and better but its beauty remains. Now I attend my grandchildren/s first communion and confirmations there. I look forward to their festival with all the bands playing in the summer.

1  Thank MarilynG61