“HISTORIC BASILLICA OF ST MARY”

Basilica of St. Mary
Ranked #6 of 237 things to do in Minneapolis
More attraction details
Owner description: Nation's First Basilica
Reviewed 25 July 2018

Starting when I was a college student in Minneapolis in 1954-55 I attended mass at this beautiful Basilica. I lived up in Kenwood and I was able to slide down the hill on Mt Curve, walk through the parade ground, and cross Hennepin, and Lyndale street at the light. Progress has changed all that with the march of time. The White Castle on the corner is only a memory. However, the beauty and majesty of the Basilica have not. Yes, they have renovated it to make it safer and better but its beauty remains. Now I attend my grandchildren/s first communion and confirmations there. I look forward to their festival with all the bands playing in the summer.

1  Thank MarilynG61
"across the street"
"catholic"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed 25 July 2018

We happened upon the Basilica on our way to the Sculpture Garden and popped in for a brief visit. I'm not sure how tours are handled here but for us, just sitting in the Basilica for a few moments was a treat. The architecture is beautiful.

1  Thank skeghaus
Reviewed 22 July 2018

We attend the Basilica Block Party every summer as a cousins event. Good music, a wide variety of food and an overall great experience. We love touring the basilica every year to see the on going improvements.

1  Thank TravelingTammyPRCE
Reviewed 17 July 2018

This building is so beautiful! If you enjoy architecture you must visit! Pictures DO NOT do it justice!

1  Thank Pammy B
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 July 2018

We read about the church on Trip Advisor and thought it would be a worthwhile stop on our first day in Minneapolis. We parked at a parking garage directly across the street where it was $5 for the entire day and we were able to see this church and then the sculpture garden down the street with no worries. The church was welcoming and there were other visitors quietly appreciating the beauty while we were there as well. We were allowed to take pictures and just enjoy the serenity of the beautiful structure. If you are religious or love architecture, this is a must-do if you have 30 extra minutes in the day!

1  Thank rgilpin99