“Disappointing ”

Sharks BBQ
Ranked #31 of 320 Restaurants in Troy
Price range: US$7 - US$17
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

I stopped by to see how this place stacks up to Billy Sims—the current standard in my view. I should have tried a sandwich in order to sample the pulled pork at the lowest cost, but I bought an entire pound at about $18. Bad choice! The meat was moist and lean, but no smokey flavor. It might as well have been cooked in an oven—and maybe it was although they have a smoker fired up in front of the restaurant directly on Rochester road for everyone to see. At checkout, the clerk was uninterested in taking my money; not necessarily rude just not apparently caring about my business. This is a pet peeve of mine. How difficult is it to ‘act’ like you care if someone spends their money at your establishment?

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank 855MarkB855

Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

We stopped in for lunch on a Wednesday, a bit after the noon rush. Approaching the restaurant was a sensory experience in itself because the smokers are out front and they were smokin'. The owner, Louis Sharke, a former head chef at two local five-star restaurants, was serving at the cafeteria-style ordering area. I chose the signature pulled pork sandwich with cole slaw, house sauce, and Carolina-style (vinegar-based) barbecue sauce; my husband had the day's special: smoked corned beef sandwich with house-made stone-ground mustard; our son had the smoked brisket sandwich with cole slaw and house barbecue sauce, which is a bit sweet. We all had sides of cole slaw, which was cabbage only with a light tangy dressing. It was so good that we ordered a pint of slaw to go. The sandwich breads were homemade, not quite bun, not quite ciabatta bread, held up well (no drips or break-through) to the 1/2-pounds of meat and sauces, and would be delicious all by themselves. We all had beers on tap. My huband and I took half of our sandwiches home and warmed them up for lunch the next day. The buns held up well even then. We all thoroughly enjoyed the sandwiches. Our entire lunch, including the extra cole slaw, was just over $40. Our only suggestion for improvement is for a spicier, more robust barbecue sauce.

The tables all seat six with some bench seating, but mostly chairs. It is not fancy, but perfect for barbecue. I would consider it a nice family place. Smoked meat plates with two sides are available for $12 to $15. We heartily recommend Shark's for great barbecue at reasonable prices.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

Always excited to try new BBQ, tried their take out. Disappointed. Not up to Dickey's or Woodpile. Closer to touristy Famous Daves. In all fairness, will try eating in next time. But with options available, there's less incentive to return.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

I love good BBQ so when am old friend suggested meeting up at this place for lunch, I was excited. I ordered the brisket and pulled pork combo. It was ok but it smelled a lot better than it tasted. There wasn't really anything special about it . I'll stick to Billy Sims on Crooks and South.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

Dropped by for dinner. Brisket was excellent, pulled pork tender, mixed with too much fat. Sides were disappointing. Beans, heavy with cinnimon; mac and cheese, dry; and gumbo, not right, like a heavy load of okra was added to regular batch. Just disappointing.

Date of visit: August 2017

Been to Sharks BBQ? Share your experiences!