All reviews economy hotel small fan pool room rest your head affordable hotel pet friendly hotel coffee maker following morning free continental breakfast stay there again short stay the wi fi ice machine clean rooms stayed one night fridge and microwave room was large
Reviewed 2 August 2016

Saturday July 30th myself and three friends went to check in to our reservation at the Motel 6 in Traverse City Michigan.  The reservation was made weeks ago over the phone by my sister and a rate of $139 was quoted (the same rate we had found that day on the Motel 6 website).
When we got to the property to check in, we advised the attendant that there would be 4 of us in the room instead of 2.  He said the rate would be $199 for each night because of the extra people, to which I asked what amount extra is charged per adult because $30 extra per adult per night seemed high.  The attendant got upset and said its $10 per adult and the original rate was $179.  I said that is a lot more than we were quoted at the time of booking but said we would figure that out later.  The attendant threw my cards (license and credit card) at me and said he would not rent to me.  Confused by his reaction I said excuse me?  He then replied "I don't like you, get out".  I calmly asked what his problem with me was, and explained that I was merely questioning the rate difference from our original quoted rate.  I explained we were fine paying the higher rate as everyone in town was booked.  He said no and told me to get out.  I asked for the managers card, he said he was the owner and threw his business card at me.  I immediately called Motel 6 customer service and spoke with Christina while one of my friends attempted to speak with "the owner " Johnny.  Christina advised me that because Johnny is a franchisee and owns the property, there is nothing Motel 6 can do and that our reservation has been cancelled and that Johnny has already filed a report and issued a Do Not Rent order against me for a year, telling her over the phone that I was rude and swearing at him (which never happened-I have worked the front desk of a much bigger property for 5 years while in school and I would never disrespect someone in a service position even after he tells me he doesn't like me).  We managed to get a room across the street and I highly recommend staying elsewhere since apparently the owner of this location can not rent to you if he doesn't like you and Motel 6 can't do anything about it!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel...or stay in a tent.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Graham S
6Team, Brand Experience Team Member at Red Roof Inn Traverse City, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2016

Graham,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We apologize for any misunderstanding that may have occurred during your recent stay with regard to our rates, check-in policy and the inconveniences you experienced. The service experiences you describe are atypical to Motel 6 standards for quality our colleagues strive to provide, and we apologize for the service issues you describe. We encourage you to contact our Guest Relations department at 1-855-787-9864 to record the details of your visit to help us provide a better guest experience in the future.

Reviewed 25 July 2016

we stayed here for one night over the weekend. we came early and the hotel manager let me check in. he even showed me my room and asked me if it was ok!! I have never had any one do that before. that was awesome!! the only issue I had was it was very basic for $200 a night, after fees..no breakfast and just a coffee pot in the lobby. I was also uncomfortable just throwing the room key up on the counter as there is no one there in the morning. just a pile of other room keys to say goodbye to. we would probably stay again, but would not pay the price we did to stay there again.

Room Tip: pet friendly if you are traveling with your 4 legged bestie
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rita B
Reviewed 21 July 2016

We stayed here for one night and loved the location next to a Mexican Restraunt and Dairy Queen. The hotel staff was friendly the room was clean and updated. This hotel is nothing fancy but there is nothing wrong with it for the $$.

Room Tip: There is a nice beach across the street.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Craig R
Reviewed 18 July 2016 via mobile

We paid a great price, the people were friendly, and it was close to where we wanted to go. The rooms were cute and clean. I was bummed there were no coffee pots in the room, or breakfast, but everything else was great. I don't have any complaints.

Stayed: July 2016
Reviewed 14 July 2016

We stayed here for a few nights with our dogs and were quite pleased. They gladly put us in a room close to an exit to make it easier for potty runs, which was great! The room was very clean, as was the bathroom. Also, a bonus, vinyl floors....so no worries about accidents with the dogs! The dogs were comfortable as well, didn't hear much outside of our room to creep them out.

Room Tip: Pet-friendly
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family