See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 September 2018

Absolutely wonderful clean, newly remodeled rooms. The owners are very nice. The rooms are themed such as the (owl room), (moose room) and so on. The hotel is quiet, ) off the beaten path. with woods surrounding the property. You can see Lake Huron across the street. Appx. 3 minutes to Oscoda Beach Park, near a K mart and grocery store. And 5 to 6 minutes from the best (all)restaurants. 6 minutes from Oscoda canoe/ kayak rental place.I 've stayed here twice in the last month. The best deal and rooms around.

Room Tip: I have stayed in room 3 and 11.Rooms are sunny and quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2017

The room was the size of a postage stamp, hot - with the AC in the bathroom so it took forever to cool down, refrigerator was not plugged in so we couldn't chill anything (and we arrived around 11 PM so it wasn't worth the bother to try plugging it in), the toilet... omg. I'm still traumatized by that whole experience... it ran. And it ran. And ran. And ran. And wouldn't flush. Every time you used it you had to plunge it. And the AC blew all the smell right into the room. There were only 2 pillows on a very uncomfortable bed so I got no sleep and was up and dressed at 5 AM ready to leave the dump. There was no code given for the "free" wifi which was locked. After a long drive to get there it sure was not very welcoming and was horribly uncomfortable :-(

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kellyhE6755RK
Reviewed 22 August 2016

My family and I stayed for 3 nights t Northern Traveler. Couldn't have asked for more for the money. It wasn't expensive, therefore not a lot of frills but we had ample space and it was clean. It suited our needs very well. I have high standard of cleanliness and I was more than pleased. The owners were friendly and more than willing to assist in any way they could. Mr. Ed. Thanks for being so kind to my son, I know he talked your ear off. Thank you also for helping us to have a wonderful weekend "Up North" We will be back. A. Holzhei

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank aholzhei
Reviewed 15 June 2016

I stayed 4 nights here on my last trip and it was peaceful. good rates for a good room. I'm not moving in or living there so it worked out fine, if your in and out all day it will work out fine. I mean really, I have more to do out of the motel and all I'm doing is changing cloths and sleeping. I'm not the kind of person who wants an expensive room at the Holiday Inn. bed shower and moving around room with a tv, and that's fine with me. if your looking for luxury and to be pampered, look else where, but for a Mom & Pop motel, they have my vote.
just booked my next stay there.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Brian D
Reviewed 15 September 2014

Prior to arriving at the Northern Traveler Motel I had checked out their website and read user reviews on this site. I have stayed at mom and pop places before so I was expecting a clean, no frills room in desperate need of renovation. However, there were a few things I wasn't expecting.

For example, their website reads, "beach access". The beach access in question, is the public beach access across a four lane highway and down the road.

Second, their website claims, "You won't even have to unhook your boat." This is the kind of motel where you park your car in front of your room. That leaves enough space in the parking lot for two cars to get past each other. Maybe if you parked your boat all the way at the end, but other than that if you didn't unhook it you would be blocking access to the rest of the narrow lot.

As far as the room goes, it was your standard (albeit considerably smaller) motel room with a bed, 19 inch tv, table and two chairs. It was clean, however had an overpowering musty smell as though it had been closed up for quite some time. The mattress was low to the ground, hard and thin, and no matter what position I laid in it made my back hurt. (No, I don't normally have back problems.) My husband is 6'4" and his feet hung off the end of the bed. There was no bathtub, only a standing shower.

The room our friends were staying in was larger and more like a standard hotel room with two beds, etc. However, you had to squeeze between the sink and the toilet to use the facilities and when you were sitting on the toilet the sink was practically in your lap.

There were gas cans, a bottle of lighter fluid, numerous five gallon buckets all stacked up outside the rooms which should've been put away in a utility shed, and I'm assuming the other guests were more like long term residents since we got the last two rooms they had available.

If you're planning on spending much time at the motel doing anything other than sleeping, this isn't the place. We were there on a motorcycle trip with two other couples, and it was raining so we needed some place that had a little room for us to sit comfortably and chat, perhaps have a drink and play cards. This was not the place for us.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple