All reviews the cottages lake huron el cortez dish soap booked for next year cleaning staff condo bonfire
Reviewed 3 August 2016

My family and i just vacationed at Mai Tiki. We stayed in cottage 11 on the south end of the resort. The cottage had a bamboo/tiki theme and was shaded by trees. The beach is big and beautiful. There were stand up paddle boards and kayaks available to rent. An incredible band played on the beach Thursday night. There were nightly bonfires and games for the kids to play on the beach. The staff was helpful and friendly and the sunrises were breathtaking. We went tubing down the Au Sable river and had a ton of fun. Our 2017 vacation is already book at the Mai Tiki Resort!!

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

My wife and our four children stayed here this past week and had the time of our lives. We had gorgeous weather, we loved our cute colorful cabin, the Mai Tiki staff were all friendly, helpful, and very informative. The beach was very clean and the water and waves were a blast. We booked again for next year. Definitely making it a yearly adventure. Would recommend it to everyone. Extremely pleased.

1  Thank KevinRichelKubik
Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

Mai Tiki was very flexible when it came to squeezing my family into a couple night stay recently. We weren't sure at first where we wanted to go when I had a week off of work, all we knew was that the weather had been really nice lately so the beach was where we wanted to go. When I called about booking a condo, most of the them were booked out for a month, but they did have a couple cancelations which worked out for us. The condo was clean, we got to relax to the sound of waves all day, they had paddle boards and kayaks to rent, and to finish the night there was a movie on the beach and a camp fire. It was a perfect get away for not even leaving the town I live in. I would definitely recommend this place to friends and family and I can't wait to take my family here again.

Reviewed 2 August 2016 via mobile

Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

My family and I stayed at Mai Tiki Resort July 2016 let's just start off saying disappointing! Our cottage was outdated and dirty! The bed was on the ground no bedframe or anything. There were spiders in the bathroom and mold. All three of my children got bug bites while sleeping, every morning they would wake covered in bites was disgusting, on the fourth day I had to take to my three year old son to the hospital because these bug bites were making him sick he was an allergic reaction to them. He had an uncontrollable fever and bites were severely swollen, we spent six hours there, poor thing had to lab work done was just awful. I tried talking to the owner and telling her about our week she was very rude! Never apologized about nothing, all she said was "well I cant control bugs" and "what would you like me to do".....she did nothing!! Awful business owner! We spent $1,000 to stay here wasn't worth a penny, was dirty!! beach wasn't clean either!!

Date of stay: July 2016
8  Thank KRISTIN M
tgirl1, Manager at Mai Tiki Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2016

I have been waiting for this review. Kristin this very much looks like swimmers itch which has been a common complaint this year due to the high pollen in the water.(see pictures)
On Sunday after Kristin checked in she said her son was running a fever. A staff member was kind enough to go to the store and buy her a thermometer. She complained that some of the children staying in her cottage have bug bites. We immediately had a staff member come and inspect the bites and the cottage, he couldn't find one single bug and he called a professional exterminator to come and do an inspection of her children and the cottage he said the bites where from bugs called noseeums and found nothing in the cottage. When I arrived on Wednesday I went down and looked at the cottage with another staff member and we got on our hands and knees and there was nothing. Kristin came to the office complaining that she went to the hospital with her son and the doctor said they were insect bites. Kristin wanted money back and said if I didn't give her money back for something we cannot control she said "you just wait and see what reviews Im going to write". There are several different types of biting bugs outdoors on a beach. This year in particular according to the professionals because of the heat. We have mosquitos, black biting flies, sand fleas, beetles, fish flies, nats,ants, spiders and high pollen in the water which people have been getting rashes etc., Insects are brought into the cottages from bathing suits and beach towels, doors being left open etc. It's not reasonable to expect us to control insects on a beach. We have a very aggressive bug spray routine we use every Saturday. We have a professional exterminator come inspect and spray the outside of the cottages and the insides of every single cottage for every type of bug. We do not know of another resort or hotel that does this and according to the exterminator we are the only one that they service who pro-actively sprays before there is a problem. What was left out of this review was the fact that our staff went to the store for Kristin, inspected the cottage on Sunday, hired a professional exterminator to come in and inspect, Monday our manager went down and re-cleaned the bathroom on her hands and knees , Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday offered to vacuum their cottage and they slammed the door on one of our managers face and used profanity. After all of this they asked for a late check out and her sister and family asked to re-book. We also called Kristin to verify her address so we could send her the belonging she left behind after check out. On Friday as I was talking to Kristin as her other 2 kids were playing in the waves, she told me she just really protective of her youngest son because he has been sick most of his life and has already had 2 surgeries, we talked about her son's ailment because my daughter had the same thing and we shared stories of how we had to feed our children because of their epiglottis issues, I understand how she feels. She also said it was frustrating because her niece who also stayed in the cottage, didn't have any bites at all, just her kids. Everyone has different reactions to bites some are allergic some are not, some will get swimmers itch(me) and some will not.
But I still can't control the outdoors. People all over the beach are getting bites and rashes including myself, this is typical. This is an outdoor environment and biting insects come with the beach. We feel horrible that Kristin did not have a good experience and would not work with us on a solution. Our goal always is that everyone have a good vacation and myself and our staff will knock themselves out and go the extra mile to make sure that this happens but I can not control mother nature and the outdoors. As far as the cleanliness all room are cleaned after every check out and inspected. There isn't any mold in the bathroom. There is some ground in sand in some of the white grout on the floor. If there is a problem with the cleanliness of the cottage you are in we will come and re-clean which was offered several times to this guest and they declined. I hope that the you, the viewer can see the effort we put into accommodating our guests and their vacation and if there's a problem we can fix, we will get done ASAP, I cannot rid the beach of bugs:( Sorry:(