All reviews themed rooms wine and cheese reception endless summer largo room roman holiday continental breakfast breakfast delivered to our room cute place hard boiled eggs bagels cute room mackinac bridge heated pool pool hours colonial michilimackinac memory foam short walk
Reviewed 29 September 2015

Great place with a fantastic host! The rooms are very nice. And the wine and cheese added the extra touch to meet new friends. We will definitely go back to visit again. American Boutique is located right across from the Mackinac Bridge (nice neighbor)

2  Thank DTewAdventures2
Reviewed 29 September 2015

I read the reviews both good and bad for this hotel and many others in Mackinaw City. I was a little surprised that not one hotel in Mackinaw City stood out as excellent. Most were between average or very good. We ended up choosing this hotel based on location, price and the recommendation of a relative, of one of the members in our group, who stayed here last year.

The location is excellent. Right across the street from the park with good views of the bridge. Hint: there's an even better spot across the street on the east end of the hotel. There's a walkway between two houses, that goes to the beach. Also a great spot to catch the sunrise.

The grounds are beautiful, as previously stated. We received a warm welcome and given information about things around town. Breakfast was fine. Typical continental style breakfast. The breakfast room was quaint.

Now for the rooms. I'd read that they were small, so we opted for an extra room rather then squeezing people into a small room. I actually didn't think the room was as small as some had said. The bathrooms, yes, but the rest of the room wasn't too bad. The beds were full size, which we knew when reserving. The main area of the hotel rooms were clean and decorated nicely. The bed was ok. I've had better, I've had worse. The walls are a little thin. I could hear people talking in the next room. If you're a light sleeper and you have noisy people in the next room, that could be a problem for you. The bathrooms showed their age, but for the most part were fine. Except for the slow draining tub, which I notified them about, so the next occupants hopefully wouldn't have a problem. (Which I wish someone would have done for me.)

My big problem with the room (other than the slow draining tub) was the musty smell. While some people complained about it and others said this wasn't an issue, it must just depend on the room you have and/or how sensitive you are to smells. My room was bad. I realize it's a problem with having a place near the water, but there has to be a way for them to get rid of the source of the problem and Febreze isn't the answer. It just masks the problem.

Overall, it was a decent stay and if it wasn't for the musty smell, I would have given a very good rating. I didn't feel the price for the room was too bad for what they offered and the for location. I just hope they can find a way to get rid of the musty smell. Would I stay here again? Possibly.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank ontheroadagain65
Reviewed 28 September 2015

The room/inn was across the street from the park that overlooks the bridge. The pool/garden setting was relaxing to sit in after a long drive. The room was comfortable, quiet and clean. Very small bathroom but vanity was outside so that was nice. Breakfast was nice and the man(owner?) at desk recommended Darrow's Restaurant for dinner (nearby) that was absolutely delish.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2015

This is boutique bed and breakfast inn. Room was clean, excellent breakfast, staff were accommodating and just across the road is Henry Park with a perfect view to enjoy the Big Mack Bridge! No elevator to second floor.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank ch3ch2
Reviewed 20 September 2015

As my Mom and I had stayed here for a night in May 2013 when the midges were out and we couldn't fully enjoy the hotel, I knew I wanted to come back at some point. My husband and I spent one night here before going over to spend a couple nights on the island. I had reserved a king-bed themed room on the website ($102 with taxes) and upon check-in at 4:30 we were given the Key Largo room on the 2nd floor. The lady who checked us in was friendly, but Spenser (resident cat) was missing from his snoozing chair so I did inquire about him. I'm a cat lover, so was glad to know he was still around and we did see him later in the evening.

This hotel is an older "motor inn" style which anyone can clearly see from the photos on the website. It pains me to see reviews (thankfully they are few, and many more excellent/very good ratings) where someone calls it a "pathetic little dump" or a "senior citizen assisted living community." Maybe we are just more open to the charm and quaintness of the American Boutique Inn, and to me it sounds like those who had many complaints would be happier in a "cookie cutter" chain hotel. Why not then just say that it wasn't your "cup of tea" instead of calling it names? Sad. I can understand if you have a mechanical issue during your stay, and if reported to the owner and it is rectified promptly or you're given a refund then why call the hotel bad names? :(

I think the hotel is lovely, and you can clearly see it is lovingly cared for by the owners. The landscaping with all the various flowers, the fountain, the colorful chairs positioned in several areas for sitting and relaxing, the clean pool, the wonderful wooden swings, etc. all combine to give a warm welcome to their customers.

Our room was adorable, with a wonderful super-comfortable king bed with lots of pillows and clean bedding. Speaking of clean, the entire room was super clean and so quaintly decorated with a wooden rocker and wicker chair (both with cushions) for sitting and relaxing, desk and chair, nightstands with lamps, cute round scalloped edge table between the chairs, and a flat screen TV sitting on an old fashioned "ice box" style cabinet. My only complaint about the TV was the poor grainy reception. Not sure if that was a connection issue or what, but as we didn't sit in our room and watch TV nonstop it wasn't much of an issue. The room had white wooden blinds at the window, purple draping (and more purple draping over the headboard of the bed) and an adorable fake palm tree in the corner by the window. It had lights so we had it lit after we went to our room after dinner downtown. So cute! And there was a large Kay Largo framed movie poster on the wall.

So many complaints about the small bathrooms. Really? You need a lot of room for walking around in a bathroom? I was happy to see the sink area outside the bathroom. I love split bathrooms like that, so much more convenient than all-in-one. The basket on the floor contained thick, white, fluffy towels and a hair dryer.

The tub/shower had a curved rod (very helpful with those "friendly" shower curtains) and even though there is not room in there to do jumping jacks it was fully functional and fine. It was clean and that's what was important.

We enjoyed relaxing on one of the nice wooden swings, and loved crossing the road and walking all along the water and going back in the evening to sit on a bench and watch the lights come on the bridge.

The complimentary cheese and wine reception for theme-room guests from 6-7 p.m. was a lovely added amenity that we enjoyed. This is something the owners wouldn't HAVE to do, and I think it's very kind of them to have it. The Serendipity Room while small is very nicely decorated and we truly enjoyed our glass of Traverse City Cherry wine (there were two other kinds offered) along with a few crackers and slices of cheese, with subdued lighting and soft 40's big band music playing. Really nice!

After sleeping great on the comfortable bed my husband drove downtown to get coffee for us. This is my only real complaint of the hotel, as we enjoy having coffee immediately when we wake up and with the lobby not open until 7:30 and no individual coffee service in the room he had to go downtown to get it since we are early risers. We did enjoy the expanded continental breakfast offering a bit later in the morning. There was an option to have breakfast delivered to our room but we chose not to partake of that. But that is another nice thing they do offer their guests (maybe just in theme rooms though, I'm not sure).

We checked out at 9:30 and we definitely will be back the next time we stay in the area. We think the American Boutique Inn is lovely. No, it's not a brand new "modern" hotel with all the amenities society has come to expect. It's a step back in time, to enjoy and savor, to relax, to recharge. And we think that is a good thing! :)

Room tip: Reserve a theme room to be able to enjoy the evening wine and cheese reception.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple