Review Highlights
Great for families with kids

Interlochen State Park has it all for campers with families. Beach, playground, boat ramps, store... read more

Reviewed 13 July 2021
U5719DUjohnb
via mobile
First time at a Michigan state park

We had never stayed at a Michigan state park before and the showers were the best we have ever... read more

Reviewed 4 August 2020
745me
Cincinnati, Ohio

All reviews camp store swimmers itch quiet hours sleeping bear dunes lake access boat launch great camping party store traverse city north campground nice beach campers firewood trees woods
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 March 2012

It is so relaxing and enjoyable with the beauty of the park. It's a bonus to have Interlochen Arts Center near.

Date of experience: August 2011
1  Thank Duane M
Reviewed 13 September 2011

My family, friends, and I stayed here over Labor Day weekend. The campground was a very nice area where it was very family friendly. I did read online before I traveled that lake in the park had swimmer's itch. I made sure to stay clear of it. On the bath house, there were signs talking about it and how long it lasts and how to prevent it. I didn't want to take the chance to catch any itch. It is a nice lake to catch the sunrise, however. It was a short drive to Sleeping Bear Dunes from this park which was our destination for the weekend.

Date of experience: September 2011
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I stayed at the campground for a few days before picking up my daughter at the Interlochen Arts Camp. I have camped many places. This campground was by the far the most crowded of any campground I have been to. It was like being in a small city. Perhaps it would be better off season...

Pros: Relatively clean camp ground, pretty lake, near Interlochen Center for the Performing Arts, child friendly

Cons: Way too crowded with too many enormous RVs, no water tap at the camp sites, poorly supplied camp store (although there are stores a mile or two away), long lines to get in and have to pay premium if you're not driving a car with Michigan plates.

Date of experience: August 2011
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I grew up camping in state parks in MI, but had never camped at Interlochen. We were there to see a relative perform at the camp, and I wish we'd had time to stay longer!

The campground is wooded and Duck Lakenia great. They have warnings posted about swinmer's itch - just be sure to thoroughly dry off and then take a shower after swimming.

Bathroom facilities are updated with nicer showers than I remember from last time I was at a state park.

The music camp has a lively atmosphere and you should really visit and catch some type of performance if the opportunity arises.

You are within an hour of other great areas, like Sleeping Beat Dunes (45 min) and Traverse City (25 min). It's a great location.

2  Thank Driveswithkids
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Stayed at Interlochen State Park for a few days as we explored the area- Traverse City, Leelanau Peninsula, and Mission Point. Great location to do just that. We reserved our site ahead of time and were able to select a nice size corner spot that easily accommodated our Winnebago RV (25ft) plus Jeep that we towed. We found the wooded setting to be very peaceful. We stayed during the week, and did notice a lot of arrivals on our last night (Thursday). It may be full during the weekends and provide a less quiet atmosphere. We were right next to a path that led to the Pines Nature trail, which was relaxing to walk each evening with our dog. Being amateur birdwatchers, we also enjoyed the wonderful woodpeckers. Finally, don't miss stopping in to visit the quaint gift shops and eateries just down the street.

Date of experience: July 2011