“Wonderful beach & lighthouse”

Holland State Park Beach
Ranked #2 of 64 things to do in Holland
Reviewed 23 May 2018

I wish we would have been able to have more time here & that it was warmer. We were here in the beginning of May so it was still a little cold out but still enjoyed our stop. There is a nice parking lot or you can park outside of the state park & walk a ways to get there. There is a great boardwalk. Plenty of people fishing. The lighthouse is very pretty and great to see. Can't wait to go back - in the summer!

3  Thank JessPem
Write a ReviewReviews (1,154)
All reviews
"lake macatawa"
in 31 reviews
"nice walk"

Reviewed 15 May 2018 via mobile

One morning last week I visited here. What a treat! It is so pretty. I lingered longer than I had planned. Despite being late for my appointment it was WORTH it!! Hope to return next time I am in that area!

1  Thank Sally H
Reviewed 14 May 2018

As a lifelong Michigan resident, I visit and enjoy almost all of the parks and trails in the western half of the Lower Peninsula. Holland State Park is a gem--and one of the busiest state parks. Wide white sand beach, clean Lake Michigan fresh water, beach house to change and buy snacks, beach volleyball nets, fishing on a breakwater/per, shady trails up & down large dunes, plus a large campground lure travelers from afar. As a local resident, I most enjoy lovely sunsets on clear evenings (about 50% of the time). That said, you must arrive before noon on Friday or Sunday and before 10 am on Saturdays if you wish to park within 1/4 mile of the beach. Admission cost is $10 annually to Michigan residents and $9 daily or $32 annually for non-Michigan residents. You may park free outside the park and walk in without charge--but this also fills up by noon on Saturdays--up to 1.5 miles distant from the park. There is a nice shady bike path that leads from Holland State Park up to Grand Haven 21 miles away. The iconic feature is Big Red lighthouse (which actually is across the channel and not accessible from the state park. Check out the photos on this site. If you've ever enjoyed the beach, you will enjoy this one.

4  Thank Dr D.M. S
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

After attending the Tulip Time festival parade in downtown Holland we decided on taking a walk in Holland State Park to see the beach along beautiful Lake Michigan. It's also the best vantage point to take pictures of the red lighthouse that marks the entrance channel to Lake Macatawa. I read somewhere that this lighthouse is one of the most photographed in Michigan. The area like many parts of the upper Midwest has to me a very "New England" feel to it,anyone who's visited the Maine coastline would surely agree. Definitely enjoyed my short walk there and taking in the views,plus took some wonderful pictures! Best to avoid the crowds by going midweek, I can only imagine how crazy it gets in the summer,parking is probably a nightmare!

3  Thank ARodriguezP