Review of Dancing with Waves

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Average
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Average - based on 1 review

Reviews from our community

Dawn D
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“The sandy opening and lake access are the only nice things about this rental”
Reviewed 27 June 2013 for a stay in June 2013
people found this review helpful

I would give it two stars but gave it three simply for the beach access. The sandy opening with lake access was great and is the nicest thing I can say about Dancing with Waves. The rest of the property was not as advertised. The "air conditioning" is a stand-alone unit on the first floor but when we tried to turn it on it blew a fuse. We tried again but the same thing happened so we were unable to use the unit during our stay. The celing fan(s) is one fan that is very noisy and sounds like it is going to fall at any moment, and isn't very fast. It was 90+ degrees and the small bedrooms upstairs got very warm. It would be nice to have a window unit upstairs. None of the windows on the first floor opened so your only relief was the sliding patio door. Also advertised was a charcoal grill but the grill you see in the pictures wasn’t there and so we had to go to Wal-Mart and purchase an inexpensive one. We left it there so now the next renters will have one to use. The bathroom is very, very small. My husband had to dry off in the kitchen and complained that the cramped space was not very "comfortable". There is only a stand up shower, no tub, which made it difficult to bathe our daughter without her slipping and falling. The bathroom linens were clean but I can't say the same for the bed linens. The master bedroom sheets had hair and debris plus the comforter had stains. If you like sleeping on plywood with a rock for a pillow you will love the beds here. My husband and I tried sleeping downstairs on the pull out couch to get some relief since it was so uncomfortable upstairs but the pull-out was even worse. It felt like I was sleeping on a wrought iron fence. Upon arrival the previous tenants’ trash was out and next to the house. Sometime during the night critters, which we assume were raccoons, struck and my husband had to pick up the nasty garbage that was strewn all over the yard. Trash pickup and a larger receptacle to store it in would be nice. The fire pit was nice but all of the chairs around it were different from the pictures and were broken. Luckily we had brought our own just in case. Although, we didn't really get to enjoy the fire because of the bugs! In the grass and all the way to the sand beach there are ant piles everywhere. The lawn appears to be an enormous ant pile, and although they didn't seem to bother us as much as the flies (watch out they bite), they were a nuisance. The mosquitos were a plenty and even with insect repellant and citronella candles they were just too overwhelming. It rained lightly the morning of our second day which seemed to awaken the swarm. At that point we had had enough and packed up early before we got eaten alive as it was becoming unsafe for our young daughter. They did get a pretty good snack out of us; I am still scratching the itchy bites as I type this review. Speaking of safety there was also a white powder sprinkled haphazardly all around the perimeter which we presumed was to keep the ants out but had no way of knowing what it was or if it was even safe; especially with a toddler around we had to be extra vigilant. As I said the beach access was the highlight but I was disappointed to discover that the outside garden hose did not work. There was no other method to rinse the sand off of you before entering the house so I spent a significant amount of time sweeping sand up off of us and out of the house. We looked longingly at the homes around us and wished we had rented one of those instead. This was our first vacation rental of this type. My husband says he is willing to try again but we will definitely be more discerning with our property selections in the future.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The sandy beach and lake access
Liked least: No A/C, beds were uncomfortable
Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing