“Unsafe Area for tourist”

The Heidelberg Project
Ranked #29 of 128 things to do in Detroit
Reviewed 12 August 2015

Been there, got my car window smashed within about 10 minutes of my visit. Not worth the risk stay away from that area.

Detroit is going down and that kind of incident just keeps the tourists away for good, will never set foot in Detroit again.

2  Thank Patrick B
in 5 reviews
"trees"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 11 August 2015 via mobile

I love the concept of this area. Our cab driver was very helpful and stayed with us. For a dollar donation you can sign your name to house for the Yellow House project. They have a face book page.

Go during the day. Not in a safe area of town. But I highly recommend it for the out of the ordinary thing to do.

Reviewed 6 August 2015

My family and I come from Canada, and visited the Heidelberg Project last Friday, July 31st.

We parked our car on the corner of Ellery & Heidelberg, while we walked on Heidelberg viewing the art.
It was 8:30 p.m., and there was still daylight.

About 7-8 minutes later, the family who lives in the second house on the right (white house with blue porch), who was sitting on their porch told my husband that someone had broken our car window.
He rushed to the car, but the perpetrators had already fled (we are sure it was by car because there was no one walking on the street).
My kids & I ran back to the car, and to my horror, I discovered that they had stolen my purse in which were our 4 passports, my driver's license, and our medicare cards.

We asked the family on the porch if they had seen who had done this, and the woman answered "We saved your car.".
Another woman (in the house light yellow house with the brown roof in front of our car on Ellery) just looked from her second floor window, and told us we should call 911.
We asked if she could do it for us, but she just disappeared in her house.

My husband called 911, and was put on hold (for over half an hour until we arrived at the customs border), at which point we decided it was useless, and hung up.

This unfortunate event will cost us over $1000 (passports, license + medicare cards ($900) + car window ($150)), and insurance does not cover such a loss.

I felt so miserable and guilty because I was the only one who wanted to visit this place, and instead of being a nice experience, it caused great distress to my whole family.

This is an UNSAFE neighborhood, and I will spread the word to everyone visiting Detroit NEVER to set foot there (one other car with an older couple of tourists drove by us, and I WARNED them to stay in their car, and showed them what happened to ours).

There are cameras on some houses, and posts. But, they serve no other purpose than to protect the junk art that is there.

Our trip would have been enjoyable from beginning to end if not for this REGRETTABLE event.

Reviewed 29 July 2015

Odd is an understatement. Confusing? Yes. Ugly? Maybe. Unique? definitely! Is it art? Hard to say. It's certainly a testament to the chaos, ingenuity, mystery, perseverance and serendipity of the human spirit. Nearby there was a very long alley with trees. Each tree had a dress on it. This was the most divine thing I'd ever seen.