See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 July 2017

I usually treat hotel reviews as a tour of disgruntled people, leaving bad reviews to compensate for some imagined slight. I should have listened to the reviewers this time.

I ended up booking a room in this dump because other nearby hotels were already full. I should have reserved something farther away. Exhibit 1: Spectrum Health Systems' nearby clinic. It's a methadone clinic. I'm all for people getting off opiates, but its presence speaks to the state of the neighborhood and its residents.

Checking in was a hassle. First, the desk attendant had difficulty even finding my reservation. Apparently the subtle distinction between "Joseph" and "Joe" confused their reservation system. Then, their computer struggled with my credit card (on a corporate Amex platinum account). The attendant was pleasant, which made checking in the best thing about my stay.

The entire hotel smelled of stale cigarette smoke, mold, and despair -- the kind of decades-old stink that only comes out after you bulldoze someplace and rebuild. The bed was uncomfortable, linens and towels were old and threadbare, the hallways were dark and dank.

While the room was spacious, it was filthy and poorly maintained. The shower didn't work properly, there was a hole in the drywall near the windows and stains on the wall near the door that I dearly hope were spaghetti sauce or ketchup. The alternative is just too disturbing.

Overall, this would have been a fine hotel, if my goal had been to give up and have a place in which to drink myself to death. For somebody looking to wake refreshed and conduct business the next morning, it was a train wreck. Avoid at all costs, unless you're truly desperate. Never again for this chain. I'd have slept better in my rental car.

Room tip: Choose a room in a different hotel, in another part of town.
Date of stay: July 2017
1  Thank JDS80127
Rick K, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Rick Kumar
Suburban Extended Stay, Worcester MA
508-852-2800

Reviewed 10 June 2017

The gentleman at the front desk during my visit was friendly, accommodating and a joy to have greet me after a long day. He was extremely helpful and all around great guy. Wish I remembered his name! Thank you for the additional water (the city was working on the sewer pipes) and holding all my boxes for a few days until I arrived. Will stay here again when in Worcester.

Room tip: Rooms on the second floor have an outside balcony, nice.
Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Krista P, Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2017

Greetings Karen L,

We are delighted to hear that you found our Front Desk Agent friendly, accommodating and helpful! Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 14 May 2017

Yearly we drive from Va to Worcester to visit friends and family....my review this year is exactly the same as last year's...."Mediocre at Best"
It is centrally located for our visit...but nothing has changed. 1/ It still smells bad. 2/ The breakfast menu is still the same....eggs and sausage, sausage and eggs. 3/ Dropped water on the floor, wiped it up with a towel and the towel is dirty (floors not cleaned properly). This year we only stayed 5 nights as opposed to 9 last year for above reason. Why do we stay here??? Good question....on a fixed budget (retired) the price is ok.....so I guess you get what you pay for!!! But, I have stayed at other Choice Hotels for low prices and they are not of this caliber.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Krista P, Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2017

Greetings Jeffrey V,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay. On behalf of the entire Management team, we would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. We will be sharing your feedback with all departments involved to make the necessary improvements throughout the hotel. We hope that you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in the area so that we can provide you with an exceptional stay.

Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

I'll echo a lot of what I've seen here with other reviews- rooms not bad , clean and very spacious and ty for that but it's once you're not in your room it all goes downhill . It's more like an apartment building than a hotel.. Elevators need to be wiped down. Carpets old and dirty. And the smells. Offensive is an understatement .i imagine you're doing the best U can under the circumstances but it's not likely I'll be coming back any time soon.

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Krista P, Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay with us. On behalf of the entire hotel, I would like to apologize for the condition of the building during your stay. I have shared your feedback with our team to ensure that we make the necessary improvements to the hotel. We hope that you will give us another opportunity the next time you are in Worcester.

Reviewed 24 April 2017

I stayed here for 5 nights during a training for my job and am shocked to see that overall this place has better than average ratings.

Cons:
1. The horrific stench was you enter the building. I realized I was holding my breath each time I came inside. I couldn't put my finger on it but I am going to assume it is cleaning products attempting to mask old cigarette smoke. With a side of vodka and burnt meals from the kitchenettes in each room.
2. the unique and equally as horrific stench on the floor I stayed on (3rd). So gross. Luckily the smell in my room wasn't nearly as bad.
3. Large bags of trash left in the hallway each morning and evening. I assume families are living more than week to week in this hotel so I understand that they will accumulate a lot of trash, but it was left outside for quite a while and was not sanitary. I don't know who was picking it up.
4. Random straws and other small pieces of trash that were in front of my door for 2 days in a row. No one is paying attention to cleaning this place.
5. The property as a whole is run down. Each far side of the lot has construction debris in piles, etc.The stairway has patches on the walls, and is grungy.
6. The TV in the "gym" room was unable to be turned from PBS. There was also no clock, towels, water, or sanitary wipes to clean the machines. They most likely have never been cleaned.

Pros:
1. Very large rooms.
2. Full kitchen if you need it. I only used the fridge. There were two knives for whatever reason, no other silverware.
3. Plenty of parking.
4. I didn't eat the breakfast at the hotel since it didn't look good, but this could be a plus for anyone who needs some basic food for the road each morning.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Krista P, Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2017

Greetings kedelano,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay with us. We are happy to hear that you found our rooms spacious and the full kitchen helpful for people staying long term. On behalf of the entire team, I would like to apologize for issues that you experienced during your stay and I will be sure to share them with the necessary departments to make the necessary improvements throughout the hotel. We hope that you will give us another opportunity the next time you are in Worcester.