“Great lobster Mac & Cheese”

Martha's Vineyard Chowder Company
Ranked #10 of 58 Restaurants in Oak Bluffs
Price range: US$12 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: BEST CHOWDER IN NEW ENGLAND FROM YANKEE MAGAZINE, BEST CHOWDER 2015 from CAPE & ISLANDS MAGAZINE, MV MAGAZINE and winner of the 2015 MV CHOWDER CONTEST!! - Copper and mahogany grace our nautically chic dining room creating a casual-fine dining atmosphere. Fresh, local when available seafood, pasture raised steaks, all-natural chicken, craft cocktails, 15 beers on tap and of course the best award winning chowder in the country are waiting for your visit to our beautiful island. Play a game in our 5000 Sq Ft 21+ game room 'LoFT' upstairs (Which features 6 pool tables, darts, foosball, Shuffleboard tables, ping pong, full bar, jukebox & more) or entertain yourself in our large, comfortable bar and enjoy an authentic Martha's Vineyard experience while being catered to by the most attentive staff in New England. Welcome to the Martha's VIneyard Chowder Company!
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

My son ordered the Lobster Mac & Cheese with smoked Gouda and truffle oil. It did not disappoint! The restaurant is very close to the Ferry and has a great cocktail menu and good oysters too!

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

When this place first opened it was a novelty. The servers were nice, we would see other locals and rub shoulders with noted.
One of the biggest complaints I've always had is the resounding noise inside. Drome the volume of talking.
Though that can't be controlled there are ways of installing inconspicuous sound baffles like plants or drapes. Material on the wall.
Anyway. Like many food establishments the quality has not staid consistent. I'm not sure if its the oil with the fried food or if more sugar is being added to the food. The taste has changed over the years. Last of all originally their chowder was to die for, thick creamy, clams.
Now I'm not sure how the recipe has changed other than its thickness is not thick and creamy.
For some this sports bar restaurant is what people are looking for. Its not the place to have friends go to dinner and have expectations of great food and an environment where you can hear everyone at the table.

I'm not a sports bar fan, so maybe the sound is fine for some,

YearRoundRG, Owner at Martha's Vineyard Chowder Company, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Sorry to read your review. Happy to report it is an outlier opinion of our restaurant of late...we actually have heard more about how the food has continued to be excellent and if anything been elevated as we have our best kitchen staff in 7 years...again, I am sorry your experience is different. Our MV Chowder® recipe hasn't changed since the day we opened and we continue to win every award and more importantly the hearts of chowder lovers from all over the world. The noise does exist even though we have dozens of sound baffles on the ceiling, under chairs, etc...it is very hard to keep a bustling restaurant quiet when it is often full, and while we are obviously not a sports bar, we do enjoy a very high energy, year round. Cheers! JB

Reviewed 16 June 2018

Love this chowder! I stopped by on a whim before heading back on the high speed ferry, and was very pleasantly surprised by the quality and unique flavor of the chowder. Completely opposite of the traditional gluttonous chowder new England is famous for, and a real winner in my mind. I was also very impressed with the super accommodating staff after I started my order as a cup to go, then switched to have it to stay and sit outside, then added another bowl to stay when my nephew showed up, added another cup to go for my son who loved the flavor after he tried it and finally placed an order to go for my mom. All in about 25 minutes no less. I would also recommend sitting outside on the small patio and watch the people go by. I highly recommend Martha's Vineyard Chowder Company for a flavorful and friendly experience.

Reviewed 16 June 2018

We visited Chowder Company 2 weeks ago. We heard about the restaurant from our friends and decided to try it out. Our server was Gordana and she was really friendly and professional. She recommended Halibut special they had that night and let me tell you, this was by far the best Halibut we've ever had. My friend tried scallops. They were cooked to perfection. We will definitely be back for lunch to try lobster roll. All in all great food, great service, keep up the good work.

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

During a visit to Martha's Vineyard we ate lunch at Martha's Vineyard Chowder Co. This restaurant, near the Oak Bluffs dock, indicated they had won multiple awards for their Clam Chowder. Not from me!

Despite this being the most expensive of all the chowders we tried, the larger pieces of clam seemed tough as though they had been overcooked. Also, interestingly, there was no real clam flavor. In fact the chowder was loaded with so much celery & topped with so many herbs, it would have been more properly named Celery Chowder.

Also, the broth/base of this chowder was very loose, not near the thickness that I associate with clam chowder.

Save your money and your time; there are better clam chowders in Cape Cod.

Hi there- sorry to hear about your MV Chowder® experience. I wish you had the same feeling as the hundreds of thousands that feel it is one of if not the best they have ever tried. We have more fresh clams that any other chowder and just the perfect balance of veggies and spices. We cannot expect to mesh with every single diner's taste buds and I wish we had done a better job with yours. Cheers! JB