“Great service, friendly atmosphere”
Review of Grog Restaurant

Grog Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 89 Restaurants in Newburyport
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 June 2021

I was in Newburyport for a night solo and chose Grog for dinner so I could sit at the bar. The bartender (Phoebe, I believe) did a great job. There was limited seating because of staffing issues, which is the case everywhere right now, and she did a wonderful job attending to the bar patrons and a few tables in the area. There was a large draft list with maybe 15 options that all seemed relatively local.

I appreciated that the menu had half-portion options and reasonable prices. I had a half Caesar salad with a side of garlic bread, and a beer. The salad had a little more dressing than I like, but that was just my preference. I didn't realize the garlic bread side would be a full plate and I had a laughable 8 pieces to compliment my salad.

My salad, side, and drink all came out to less than $20. It was a nice place to sit, eat, and people watch. There seemed to be a mix of vacationers and locals. There are some TVs in the bar that I didn't notice because the sound was either very low or off.

Date of visit: June 2021
Write a reviewReviews (450)

Reviewed 22 May 2021

The bride and i have been going here for more than 25 years since staying just north in NH. We went here this evening after opening our camper one week shy of Covid regulations being lifted and couldn't have felt more comfortable from the greeting, to the service, to the food, to the cleaning. It was absolutely perfect. We heard the staff talking about changes next week when the state mandates are lifted and the care and precautions the staff and ownership is considering for the change was heartwarming. After what we all went through since March 2020 it was great to hear of business just moving ahead full bore like Covid never happened. Looking forward to many more great meals with all of the staff at The Grog!

Reviewed 22 May 2021 via mobile

Trying new places is tough for me because I feel like i get let down easily. NOT here. The food was delicious, service was great.

Reviewed 19 May 2021 via mobile

Always good at the Grog! Went with my family with 2 little ones. Everything was excellent! This is the thing you can always expect here. Got the fish taco’s and they were very good. They had good close slaw too. The 2 kinds got the chicken fingers and fries. The fries are the steak fries, so I stole a few of them, and the chicken fingers were plentiful and huge. Suggestion: start off with the mushroom onion and spinach cassadia (don’t know how to spell it) as it was fantastic! Every time we go to Newburyport we go here

Reviewed 16 April 2021 via mobile

Great food, reasonable prices, friendly staff. A “must stop” for anyone visiting Newburyport. Tucked away on one of the side streets, it reminds you of the typical pubs of old fishing towns visited by the locals at the end of the day. Menu offers something for everyone. Good Covid safety practices throughout.

Date of visit: April 2021