“Meeting new friends ”

Borderland State Park
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Easton
More attraction details
Owner description: The 3-story home built by artist and suffragist Blanche Ames and her botanist husband Oakes, is the centerpiece of this park. Visitors can also walk and horseback ride, fish, canoe, ice-skate and sled.
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

This place never ceases to amaze me. We normally walk along the road but there are plenty of trails. Dog friendly. We even got to meet some new friends

All reviews
"fishing"
in 5 reviews
"horseback"

Reviewed 4 September 2017

Everyone see things differently. I lived in this area for about 20 years. Boarderland park is like my backyard. I go there very frequent before and about once a month now. 15 years ago, the lake freeze in winter. I can walk, even see people bike on it safely. When I standing in the middle of the frozen lake, I felt silence, vast and serenity. I would hear ice cracks from expansion. Walking in the deep snow in winter is also a good experience right after a big snow storm. Now winter is warmer, there is snow but lake do not freeze anymore. This maybe caused by global warming.
In other seasons, you will see birds. Blue birds, swallow, blue jay, cardinal, oriole, hummingbird, heron etc. and even bald eagle. I have pictures of them all. There are many hiking trails. I bike there a lot.
In the summer, I like to go very early or late of the day. At that time, the park is empty. This is good time to see deers. At one time, there were 6 deers. Couple young ones walk towards me and stayed near me for a while. The experience is amazing.
Water lily is nice but now a day water level is too low in the lake and it become smelly in the summer. Maybe this is also because of global warming.
I also visited Ames mansion. There are also activities in the summer.
I am sure there are many places in the world better than boardland park and I have been to many. But this is near home and you can experience wildness within 15 minutes driving.

1  Thank BostonGlobetreker
Reviewed 16 August 2017

Borderland State Park has easy trails for walkers and more challenging ones for hikers. I took the easy 3 mile walk which is a slightly uneven unpaved road that includes woodlands, three ponds, interesting rock formations, meadows and farmland. The mansion was closed during my visit, but the exterior is interesting and worth inspecting. The park is large and uncrowded. There is a visitor center with restrooms and trail maps. Overall a top walkers destination. Bring insect repellent.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

Borderland offers walking, horseback and biking trails. Grab a map at the welcome center and explore off the main trails if you want more terrain and quieter trails. Don't miss the Ames Mansion during your visit. The building and grounds are impressive and well preserved. If it is open for a visit (not very often) be sure to check out the library room. The park also offers Frisbee golf course that winds through woods and meadows. If fishing is your thing there are many ponds available. The park is also very dog friendly.