Review Highlights
Spectacular sunsets in August

Beautiful campground - sites among tall pines close to open water. Clean baths and hot showers... read more

Reviewed 10 September 2021
C8267ENjohnb
Nice Kept Park

Must see all of it. Observation tower, Nature Center and fishing. Campsites too. We were on ly... read more

Reviewed 28 August 2021
Tim C
Millsboro, Delaware

All reviews water trails janes island crab biting flies nature center camp store island state great camping bathrooms were clean camping trip observation tower honor system rent a kayak only accessible by boat early fall campground cabin
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Too windy to kayak this time but the stiff breezes kept the mosquitoes at bay as well. Lovely sunsets, nice relaxing walks through the camp loops, quiet and peaceful. Not a hustle and bustle type of campground which is why we like it here so much. Yes, the bugs can be bad - that's what having all of the water around will bring, but the kayaking is superb and the people are friendly.

6  Thank John S
Reviewed 2 October 2010

My wife and I just recently returned from an RV vacation at this premier Maryland Park from September 12th to the 27th. When we first arrived we were both overwhelmed by the hospitality and knowledge of the staff. Even better was the accessibility to the waters of the Chesapeake watershed and Tangier Sound. Many of the sites front directly on the water but the rest are just a short walk. Fishing and crabbing do not require a boat and can be done from the park's docks. I must say that the blue crab population has grown substantially since the state imposed restrictions on gender and numbers of crabs that can be harvested. They are also the best tasting crabs we have ever had. Don't miss the ferry to Tangier Island and Smith Island from town just a mile from the park.
To Christine, Phoebe, Bill and John and the rest of the staff at Janes Island State Park, thank you for making this vacation one of our fondest memories. We will be back.

Phil and Jean Kaplan

6  Thank PKaplan
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I can't believe the negative reviews I read on this site for Janes Island! All I can say is that my experience was wonderful! Of course, there are some bugs....that is a given being that it is summer and the campground is on the water. A little insect repellent goes a long way! We stayed in our tent and we were extremely comfortable with the nice breezes coming off of the bay. My husband and I brought our grandson who thoroughly enjoyed the crabbing (couldn't be easier than crabbing off a nicely manicured strip of grass right into the water). In the evenings the sunsets over the sound were breathtakingly beautiful! The campground was immaculate...the bathhouses very clean. The scheduled activities on our weekend were "Scales and Tails" seminar and the "Crab Derby". My grandson throughly enjoyed both! We rented a canoe and explored the many waterways between the campground and Tangier Sound...this is truly a kayakers delight! I must admit..after reading the negative reviews and then driving up to our campsite, the rather large flies (don't know the species name) dive bombed our car ruthlessly and I thought we were in for trouble. Once the car stopped, they left and I never saw another one until I got in the car and started it up again. So, they were not a problem! We had some mosquitoes at night but nothing a little insect repellent couldn't handle. This is a beautiful park which will offer you a peaceful environment in which to relax and reflect. If you are looking for a circus/boardwalk type environment, then this is not the place for you.
I had a wonderful time, the park staff were friendly and helpful and I can't wait to go back!

5  Thank NJNannie
Reviewed 9 June 2010

A beautiful state park on the water! We stayed in a full service cabin with a view of the canal and the island. Yes, there are a lot of bugs, but insect spray does effectively deter them. Cabins have a screened porch and air-conditioning (gas logs for winter) - nothing fancy, but very comfortable and well-lit (better than most hotel rooms). There is a delightful dock to sit on - bring chairs to enjoy the view and quiet (mid-week, not sure weekends are as quiet). Bugs did not bother us at all on the dock. It's true there's not much to do besides kayaking, but it is a lovely place to enjoy the beauty of the bay. The well-marked water trails for the kayaks are fun. Camp facilities are well-maintained. Crisfield is only a few minutes drive - try Waterman's Inn for dinner and The Sweet Shop for Smith Island cakes.

4  Thank explorersjt
Reviewed 2 June 2010

A lot of bugs.. like a loootttt that's my first impression. It's deer flies that bite and very very itchy after 1 day.
Not a lot of things to do officially except kayaking. Again it has lots of bugs. I got myself crazy with all the bugs and itchiness.

I will never ever go to this place again.. NEVER

6  Thank kebocantik