All reviews the pub meeting house short sands beach ocean view off season the main hotel oceanview room wonderful hotel corner room hotel guests monday night annex building top floor nachos front desk staff a king size bed get away
Reviewed 5 July 2016

This was our first visit To Union Bluff Hotel, and we were absolutely floored by the sense of traveling back to a period when elegant people on the east coast traveled by train to enjoy grand hotels like this on the beach. We arrived on a chilly rainy New England day and walked into a warm inviting lobby which seemed to be straight out of a Hollywood set. While this is definitely a hotel with a history, everything was clean and neat. In addition to paying homage to its history, the hotel does have such modern touches as A/C, elevators, etc. There is ample exterior parking around the hotel (front and back - just beware of the one-way streets). The hotel sits right on the beach and contains a very nice bar and restaurant for blustery nights such as we experience. Despite its New England location, the staff, such as Katie on the front desk and the crew in the bar, provided us with warm Southern Hospitality. We had an upper corner room facing the beach and enjoyed watching people and dogs walking in the sand in the rain. The view was much more entertaining than watching television. In addition to a very comfortable bed, our room had equally nice chairs made for reading a good book. If you're interested in capturing the authentic New England beach experience you need to give the Union Bluff Hotel a try. We did, and we will be coming back. Oh, yes, this place is truly far from the madding crow and deliciously quiet at night.

Room Tip: All the rooms have nice views of either York Beach town or the bay. Upper rooms have better views.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2016

This hotel has everything I need when I stay in York with my family - great location, restaurant, and clean rooms with the amenities you'd expect. The reasons I give it four stars instead of five is that the rooms are dated (especially compared with the Atlantic House Inn), and the price is high.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank hebedros
Reviewed 30 June 2016 via mobile

To be fair, I was a tad disappointed when I realized I'd looked a little too quickly and turns out it was NOT the Onion Bluff hotel (I'd loved the idea of a hotel calling out a gross vegetable on being a fraudulent liar) but I was NOT disappointed in the bar or its couched and area rugged lobby right by the beach. The bar also has a restaurant and all on the first floor. The beach is also on the same floor (due to the earth being ground level as well) which works out well for all my tanned Bronzing Bro's.

The entrees were exemplary, and luscious enough, and felt buttery enough on the tongue, to live up to the billing. When it came to raw or almost raw fish compositions, the union bluff way of adding lively accents without getting carried away distinguished a seafood triptych of octopus, uni and scallop, each seasoned with cilantro and a single bold red pinprick of Peruvian chili paste.

There is free popcorn.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2016

Second year at Union Bluff! Very clean, staff friendly. Chairs on the property which is ocean side! Pub fantastic and the restaurant wonderful. Parking can be tricky on certain nights they seem to be taken by locals or people eating in pub and restaurants .

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Joanne C
Reviewed 21 June 2016 via mobile

My husband and I along with my Mother, grandmother, brother and his girlfriend spent 2 nights here. We had 3 seperate rooms but I will only speak to ours. We came for a wedding. My husband and I booked an center ocean view room (405) and it was worth the money. The view was amazing, lounge chairs were comfortable. We didn't mind that the balcony wasn't private, our neighbors were nice. The room itself is on the small side, but we knew we were paying for the balcony and view so that was Ok.

The bed was very comfortable and there were a lot of hangers in the closet which was good for us, we had a lot of clothes to hang vs fold in the dresser.

The water pressure in the shower was not great. The spray was so wide as it flowed from the shower head that I had to dance around a bit to get my hair washed properly.

The food in both the pub and the restaurant was just OK. We had nachos, and chowder one afternoon, they were fine. Nothing exceptional, pretty standard pub food.

Breakfast in the restuarant was not great. The service was extremely slow. Granted there were 6 of us in our party but its a very small restaurant so even when at capacity its not crowded. I had the eggs benedict, as well as 4 other ppl in our party. The hollandaise sauce broke while being made and they still served it. It was oily and lacked flavor. We had to ask for our check twice.

Lunch the next day we ate at the pub on the patio. It took 90 minutes for four of us to get one round of beers and 3 appetizers to split. Extremely painflly slow service.

The wedding itself was wonderfully done, a beautiful outdoor ceremony. The Meeting House was a beautiful place for the reception, although the food there was not good either. The chicken was dry and the risotto was thick and pasty. The appetizers chosen by the bride and groom were delicious, I was glad I filled up on them!

Overall I'd go back, I'd just not eat there, and if I did I'd allow myself A LOT of time to do so!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family