“Muffins are great, but is it a business or a clubhouse?”

Lincolnville General Store
Ranked #11 of 13 Restaurants in Lincolnville
Reviewed 3 May 2018

This is an interesting business. I swear that there were more employees in the place than customers. One would think this would benefit those who wish to buy something. You would think wrong.
Coffee and related baked goods are in the rear of the store along with the oven with all of the other food options. There is a register back there next to the display of muffins, carrot cake, etc. I counted 5 other employees in that area alone. One was paying attention to the oven the rest, who knows. The woman running the register seemed to have no earthly idea how it worked. She kept looking down at a pad then back at the iPad, back to the pad...you get the picture. While this is going on, two women are waiting to pay for a to go box of lunch. Waiting in back of them, and in front of me, was another customer. The box lunch women paid with a credit card. That required more fumbling with the register. The next woman began a conversation with the register lady about a job having something to do with the customer's husband and nothing related to the store. All this time all I wanted was a muffin in the case next to the register. Negotiations about this outside of the store job went on with the ladies exchanging phone numbers and having a genial chat about it while customers just had to wait. By this time there were two people in the back of me. Finally, a wonderful woman caught my eye allowing me to ask for a muffin. I've been in here before and the same woman was just as friendly and helpful. If you can find a "Kate", your experience will be far better than mine. I asked her if I could pay up front. She said with obvious sympathy, yes. This woman understands that in retail a happy customer may be a repeat customer. I enjoyed the muffin. The coffee doesn't deserve any special recognition one way or another.
The owners transformed the building into a lovely place. I hope it is a success. I have friends in Lincolnville who enjoy stopping by. However, I just can't shake the feeling that the actual business purpose is still rather vague. During both of my visits, most of the customers were having conversations with employees. The registers were not busy. It gave off the impression that the business is more of a place for the employees to hang out with their friends than to sell goods to the general public. Certainly negotiating a business deal while customers are waiting is not a desirable behavior in an employee who deals with the public. I've had friends open businesses that exhibited the same characteristics. They didn't last.
It's a nice space worthy of stopping by just to look around. If you can find an employee who isn't otherwise engaged, you might be able to make a purchase in a reasonable amount of time. Twice I have made the drive from Rockland. Twice I have been disappointed. I doubt I will make the trip a third time.

Reviewed 6 February 2018

Tucked away in quiet little Lincolnville Center is the Lincolnville General Store. It is a great place to visit and get a bite to eat. The food is fresh, creative, and really tasty! It is also a great place to shop for fresh local organic produce and and other unique groceries. They also have a great selection local and regional craft brewed beer and wines.

Reviewed 23 January 2018

This is a store with EXCELLENT gourmet food and drink mostly for purchase / take-out with a few tables to eat in. BEST homemade soup I have ever had in my life! Do not miss the Brick Oven pizza with some delightful gourmet combinations. There is a great wine and craft beer selection. Their coffee is wonderful in the mornings. The local baked breads were amazing. Great selection of grocery items and fresh veggies.

Reviewed 22 December 2017

Stopped in with my company for a coffee and cookies. Young lady in back by the wonderful wood-fired oven was super. Bubbly and helpful and made us feel quite at home. Even warmed up our cookies and supplied us with Almond Milk for our coffees.
The cookies delish but it was late in day to try anythingelse. Will return everything looked fresh and homemade.
Just one note: the register is manned at the front of the store and that employee never greeted us when we went in, we sat a table and enjoyed our coffees never acknowledged us and when we left never looked to thank us for visiting. Left on a sad note. Otherwise, the store is worth the visit.

Reviewed 1 December 2017

Just minutes outside of Camden lies the Lincolnville General Store. The beautifully restored building features a wood-fired oven where bread and pizza are baked. There are many locally grown vegetables and regional products nicely displayed throughout the store. There are a few tables to eat in or you can take your meals to go.