“Peaceful & Relaxing”
other travellers have booked this property
Little Island House, Upstairs and Downstairs apts., each sleeps 2.
Arrive, and park Entering Upstairs, to right is study area and stairs to third floor bedrooom.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Arrive, and park
Entering Upstairs, to right is study area and stairs to third floor bedrooom.
Upstairs apt. bedroom on third floor. Queen size bed.
Living room in Upstairs apt. Sliding glass door to left. As seen coming down stairs from the bedroom
Upstairs fireplace and sitting area.
Upstairs dining area with beautiful views of the mountains and village of Bernard across the harbor.
Kitchen in Upstairs apt. Bosch gas range, oven, and microwave. Amana Refrigerator.
Harbor and village views from the kitchen, Upstairs apartment.
Upstairs apt. bathroom, just around the corner from the kitchen.
Garden side front door, enters Downstairs apartment.
Entering the Downstairs apartment from the harbor side sliding glass door. Living room.
Fireplace and sliding glass doors, Downstairs apartment.
Living room and kitchen windows, Downstairs
Bedroom with queen-size bed in Downstairs apartment.
Downstairs bedroom. deck and water beyond
Downstairs bedroom with twin beds, with front gardens beyond
Twin beds, Downstairs
View to the north, to the head of the harbor.
View across the harbor, to the village of Bernard.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

lori103
Stamford, Connecticut
“Peaceful & Relaxing”
Reviewed 19 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

We enjoyed our stay at this house on the quiet side. The setting makes for a wonderful retreat, the beautiful garden, the water gently washing over the rocks, and views of the harbor. We stayed in the downstairs apartment, which is beautifully decorated and well-stocked from the bookshelf, to the kitchen to the bathrooms. This was the most well-stocked rental we have stayed in, it had all the essentials and a little extra, even a few refills in case things ran out. We especially enjoyed cooking with the seasoned cast iron pans and had every dish, pot, and glass we could ask for. It was also convenient to the free Acadia shuttle and close enough to ride bikes to Southwest Harbor in lieu of driving. The expansive deck was equipped with chairs and a table perfect for morning coffee and afternoon snacks and the living room fireplace was perfect for cool nights.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Daniel H
Rockville, Maryland
“If you think 3BR for $1500/week, BAIT and SWITCH”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 for a stay in August 2014
people found this review helpful

We searched for a place with 3 bedrooms, and found this house. We read how it is configured, one bedroom and two down. The writeup seems to have changed since we booked back in May, but what's going on is this. The owners have divided the house into two different properties. The rates you see are for HALF a house. The properties should be called "Little Island 2BR downstairs apartment", and "Little Island 1BR upstairs apartment."

Absolutely nothing in any of our correspondence said we were getting only half the house, the downstairs. I can't say I recommend the place. Too small. The stairs, which are permanently blocked off, take up a lot of the square footage. No microwave. No laundry. The house is surrounded by water on three sides, but even so the site feels industrial.

The owner swore nobody had made the same mistake we had in twenty years. I'm skeptical. $1500 per week for half the house might be what the market will bear, but for us it was a terrible match, a married could with two grown children of opposite gender. Once the confusion came to light, 11:00 PM when we arrived, interactions with the owners were terrible. They had a code, and stuck to it, but to me it seemed rather vicious. They refused to consider giving any discount. They ultimatum was stay the week at full price or leave by 10:00 AM with full refund, but then they got mad at us and told us we couldn't stay even if we let them keep the whole $1500. It was very "Stand Your Ground" from them. They seemed to enjoy throwing us out.

The owner should not list the two rental units this way. They are NOT offering a house. They are skimping on the listing fees by using one listing to try to rent two different properties. Unless you are just two people, and fine with small (and no microwave), and need to be on the water, you might wish to avoid.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked least: The listing suggested we would get a house.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
4 Sep 2014
I apologized for the mistaken idea these people had, but couldn't hide my amazement that they apparently did not take time to read even the first line of the website's description of our home when they made their reservation. In my 28 years here as owner of this rental, I have never had anyone make this mistake.
The main argument they made was that they would like a sizable amount of money back, and then they'd stay. After listening for a long time, I suggested they must be tired, and that we should all get some sleep and talk about it in the morning. By morning, I felt clearly that they had two options: to stay the week at the stated rate, or to leave with a full refund, having the night they'd stayed for free. The conversation the next morning was more of the same, so I simply repeated the two options and told them my husband and I would be there shortly, and that they should discuss their decision. When we arrived, they hadn't spoken of it to each other. All the draperies were closed to the beautiful Maine morning. I gave them a full refund, at which time I was told to keep my money, that they'd stay. We asked them to leave.
I am to blame in not reiterating either "The Upstairs" or "The Downstairs" apartment. As I looked back through our emails, at the many questions they asked about the area, I should have realized they had not read my website, which would have answered all those questions, and of course would have eliminated any misunderstanding.
A couple of corrections: the door at the top of the stairs is doubled when the apartments are rented separately, but opens up when people rent the whole house. Also, there is a microwave behind the fridge.
melissa g
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Better than my dreams”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 for a stay in July 2014

I first saw this lovely cottage in 2012, when my husband and I were traveling in our RV and staying in a campground just outside Acadia. We found it totally by accident, just exploring. It looked so lovely, with its gray shingles and beautiful cottage garden - and the setting! Right there ON Bass Harbor. Literally, right on it. I said to my husband, "I want to stay there someday." Well we did. We stayed in the upstairs unit and our friends stayed in the downstairs unit. The cottage is SO well-appointed - the upstairs kitchen is large, with modern appliances and everything you'd ever need. It's open and spacious, with a giant stone fireplace. Furniture is very comfortable and so was the bed - and that isn't always the case with rental cottages! But the views are the best - in every direction through the huge windows, and from the wrap-around deck. We watched the lobstermen go out in the morning and the sun set in the evening. We took the Gott excursion boat that leaves right from the dock that runs alongside - well worth it! It was a glorious, wonderful week in the nicest cottage I've ever stayed in. It far exceeded my expectations.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Everything. Okay - the setting, the view, the comfort.
Liked least: Bedroom up the stairs and bath on the floor below - that's a little awkward but didn't negatively affect us.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
QC, Canada
Reviewed 27 September 2013 for a stay in July 2013

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Alan_Kitt...
Kittery Point, Maine
“Water on 3 sides”
Reviewed 4 September 2013 for a stay in September 2013

A modern two unit house with all the comforts of home. Since you are on an island the views of Bass Harbor and Bernard are spectacular. A good restaurant within walking distance (island is connected via causeway). An island boat tour of the surrounding other islands is available from a tour boat company on the island. Do not miss this tour. It includes viewing the seals & eagles that populate the area and includes a demonstration in pulling a lobster trap, a main occupation here in Maine.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Living unit (1st floor)
Liked least: Having to leave.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing