“Very informative tour”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$102.00*
and up
Destrehan Plantation and Swamp Tour Combo from...
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Destrehan
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1787, this is the oldest plantation house in the Lower Mississippi Valley.
Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

We really enjoyed our tour from Beverly! This is a great tour full of information about the previous residents as well as American history. The house is beautiful and Beverly did an amazing job making the presentation lively as well as informative. Thank you!

1  Thank rjellis
in 5 reviews
"sugar cane"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

I would recommend a journey to the site of this plantation. The caretakers have done an admirable job to restore the property to the former glory. Our guide was knowledgeable and proud of the site. The gift shop matched the history of the site and staffed with knowledgeable people as well Close to New Orleans and right next to the Miissippi River

Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

This was my first plantation visit. I was not sure what to expect but I was not disappointed.
The gift shop is quaint and filled with your standard gift shop trinkets. Beyond the memorabilia, the grounds are fantastic.
The Spanish moss supervises the bright green grass and beautiful old buildings. The landscape is well kept and the tour allows you to wander.
My tour guide, Beverly, did a wonderful job of combining perceived history, actual history, with present time analogies. For example, “it only took them three years to build this home. Nowadays it takes longer than that to fill a pothole.” She was dressed in timely attire and was a delight to speak with and learn from.
The home itself is stunning. The pictures posted by others clearly depict that. However, the grounds are what really impacted me.

1  Thank Ashlyn H
Reviewed 1 October 2018 via mobile

A great find as not one of the more popular plantation houses but the History was handled in a "kid gloves" way which as it was my first visit to this kind of establishment, I'm still pondering whether I would have preferred a more gritty bit of truth telling.
The Auction Boards showing someone's worth was devestating in its matter of fact manner.....in fact had the greatest impact on me!

The tour guide absolute gem with a great sense about her and knowledgeable....although I felt she was diplomatic in her handling of a couple of questions.