Open today: 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

from US$102.00
from US$145.00
from US$155.00
More Info
All reviews thomas jefferson our tour guide gift shop historical society jefferson room the main house period costume new orleans river road explore the grounds slave quarters great tour louisiana purchase spanish moss live oak trees louisiana history oak alley
Reviewed 29 September 2017

Just a 30 minute drive from New Orleans, this unassuming house sits close to the Mississippi River and is a beautifully peaceful location. Our guide took us round the house and explained the work done by the staff and owners of the plantation, with interesting detail about the building and its construction over the years, with history spanning indigo, sugar and petrochemical production. I was fascinated to learn that the film "Interview with a Vampire" was filmed here (and having since watched it, there are plenty of views of the house featured in it). The guides wear period costume and are very informative. Photography is permitted throughout, apart from the Jefferson Room (which houses an original document signed by Thomas Jefferson). There are slave quarters behind the house and a fascinating exhibition on the 1811 slave revolt. There is a gift shop and an adjoining room containing tourist information leaflets.

1  Thank Tosca1962
Reviewed 27 September 2017

Informative guide, lovely home, interesting history, beautiful grounds, gift shop, adequate parking. If visiting New Orleans, it's only about a 30 min. drive. Great for day trip.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

We had a great experience at this plantation home. The tour guide was Brenda, she was terrific. She was very knowledgeable about the property, laws of that time, and the family history of the owners. Definitely one of my favorite tours of our trip.

1  Thank TCB21
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Well I had the most amazing tour I have ever been on today. The house and grounds are absolutely stunning but the tour guide made my day and possibly my trip. Beverly was sweet, knowledgeable, entertaining and amazing. I wish I could have taken her along for the rest of my tours while in Louisiana. I will be recommending this plantation over all the others I've seen by far.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed 16 August 2017

It is a shame that LA doesn't offer a guide to the plantations of the area! After lots of research, we created our own driving tour of the area, beginning at Destrehan with the ladies at the St Charles Parish Tourist Info Center which is located in the store at Destrehan. They provided a list with milemarker guides to local plantations and we picked up some trinkets to remember Destrehan as well. One thing to note before visiting the plantations is that there are a LOT of choices and you have to base which one you choose on the aspect of plantation life / Louisiana history that you wish to focus on - from slavery at Whitney to the history of the Creoles at Laura, there are plantations with focus on different areas, different time periods and different aspects of history. The ladies at the Destrehan will help plan a route and make recommendations. Aside from Destrehan, Laura and Oak Alley are the most focused on history, Whitney focuses on slavery, and St Joseph and Evergreen offer tours as well, although they are less commercialized than the others. Some of the plantations down River Rd are now private residences and honestly sometimes it's hard to tell a plantation "big house" from another house in the area, but with the guide and wikipedia a great day is planned down the river road!

Date of experience: August 2017