“Perfect Burgers and Fries, Great Staff & Service, Cool Atmosphere - We'll go again!”
Review of The J Bar

The J Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The J Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 326 Restaurants in Davenport
Cuisines: American, Bar, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Edgy. Adventurous. Visual. Cooking outside the box paired with superior wine and mixology. Bar open late. Brunch Saturday and Sunday 10:00 AM-2:00 PM
Reviewed 15 September 2015

Get the Turkey Burger, it's made with blue cheese and spinach, I didn't think I liked turkey burgers and hadn't had one in years but could not resist when our server/Director Dave made his personal recommendation. To avoid everyone changing their order we ended up sharing! They put a very nice char on their burger, toasted bun, great flavor, and generous perfect crispy fries. The most fun part about our experience was the accommodating service and atmosphere. This hip & trendy place is designed for a younger crowd with affiliations to a long-time establishment QC locals all know and love - we took my 82 yr old mom. They helped us change our mind from sitting outdoors and moved us to the VIP table inside with the wrap around curtain but never forgot about us for a moment. We felt like VIP. Holiday Inn gets a nod of interest because of J Bar. Thank you J Bar and Dave!!!! We will definitely be back and hope to be able to save room for the Tequila Lime Cheesecake next time!

Reviewed 13 September 2015 via mobile

So excited to have this trendy hot spot in town. Super cute / classy inside with a great outdoor patio. Been here numerous occasions since they opened. Been for
Brunch, lunch, dinner and drinks. Skip
the food and just come for cocktails.

Had a work event on the outdoor terrace on the second floor and food and drinks and service was outstanding. I assume the food was from Jbar. Had a great time and a lovely experience in this great location!!

MKSparkman, Brand Manager at The J Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2015

Hi Cara, can you email me at msparkman@hoari.com to tell me what makes our food just o.k.? Our mantra is Cook Tough, and that is because we make each item from scratch, and our food is something we are very proud of. We would love to learn how we could make your dining experience more positive!

Reviewed 30 August 2015 via mobile

Wonderful time with a beloved friend. The atmosphere was chic and has a big city feel. The food was reasonably priced with staff who were attentive and had personality. Definitely will return!

Reviewed 29 August 2015

My daughter and I ate here while staying in the Holiday Inn and Suites in which the restaurant was located. The restaurant itself is very nice, and the bar area is very modern. We were seated in one of the main dining areas, where the majority of the diners in the restaurant were seated. The hostess who seated us gave us a kid's menu and a regular menu, but no wine list. We sat for about 10 mins before our server showed up. She asked what we wanted to drink, and I had to ask for the wine list. She brought it promptly, but then told us that she would be right back. Five minutes later, she returned and asked if I knew which wine I wanted. I ordered my wine, and we ordered dinner at the same time. She disappeared again for another 10 minutes, finally returning with my wine, and telling us that our food would be out momentarily. If by momentarily, you mean another 15 minutes, then she was accurate. When my steak arrived, it was lukewarm. I was hungry, though, and ate it as is. Overall, no complaints about the food. I even tried my daughter's chicken strips, and they were tasty.

The wine list was extensive, but very overpriced. I ordered a $15 glass of cabernet, and got a glass that was about 1/4 full. I had a zinfandel for my second glass, at $8, and it was a little more suitable serving. This hotel uses some sort of wine vending system that uses pre-paid cards. The guest can charge the card for whatever amount of money, and then go to the bar and get their own glass of wine from the machine. This was explained to me in detail, because I had to complete paperwork to get my first glass of wine. Note that the prices are the same, whether a bartender pours your glass or you get it yourself.

Overall, we were both hungry, and the meals filled us up. The food here is good, but the service is not. I did notice other servers delivering food and drinks to tables that were not their own, but for some reason our server was the only one to approach our table. If the wait staff had been working better together for us, as they seemed to be for other tables, this would be a better review.

Reviewed 20 August 2015 via mobile

Better place for drinks than food. The food wasn't anything special but sitting out on the patio on a warm night with good friends and good drinks is a great time.