“Salt Air Cafe, Ngunguru”
Review of Salt Air Cafe

Salt Air Cafe
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Ngunguru
Reviewed 7 November 2018

Awesome service, quaint little set up, delicious foods and an amazing coffee, well worth the time to pop in.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 3 October 2018

Best Pies in the Region !! Lots of great takeaway or dine in options, great Coffee and drinks on offer too :)

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 29 June 2018

We were staying at Tutukaha and spent the day driving around. we had seen this cafe on our way in so went there for lunch. we did not want much so chose a pie and coffee. Good pies with a rich filling.
We returned the next day for breakfast on our way home. I had the most delicious liver and bacon (lambs fry) I have had in a long time . This was a large portion, well cooked and tasty gravy. My wife's meal was similarly generous.
It is a fairly basic cafe. The staff were pleasant and the service efficient.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 21 May 2018

Well ... this is the first review I've written where my wife and I have had such different experiences that my only option is to give this place a mediocre rating.

She had what she described as the best toasted sandwich she's had in a long, long time.

I had what I can only describe as the worst fish I've ever had. Ever!

But before I tell you how bad the fish was I want to say the staff were very welcoming and friendly, albeit inattentive once we were served. The place wasn't exactly busy, but there was no one to say goodbye to when we left. It was like a ghost ship.

As I said, my wife thoroughly enjoyed her toasted ham and cheese sandwich. She also enjoyed the chips that came with my order. The chips looked and tasted real and not like something from the freezer. My small salad was also nice.

And the fish? I have no idea how it's possible to cook fish to look so unappetizing.

But first, I need to explain our circumstances that day. Our car's temperature gauge suddenly shot up to the highest point and we'd pulled over across from the Ngunguru Market to phone the service department of the Whagarei dealership. The head honcho told us it didn't sound good and that we should not drive the car any further. So I called the AA, explained our predicament and arranged for a truck to come out and take the car, and us, into the dealership.

After we'd waited for around 20 minutes we got a call from the AA informing us that the truck wouldn't be arriving for another 45 minutes, possibly longer. Both of us were hungry and we knew we wouldn't be in town in time for a decent meal. So we decided to wait over a lunch at Salt Air.

As usual I wanted to make sure I didn't waste away and deny myself the sustenance I'd require to deal with this unexpected event. So I ordered accordingly, thinking "Pan fried fish" with chips and a salad were the ticket. On the other hand, my wife was not that famished and went for the toasted sandwich. In retrospect, she made the right choice.

The fish itself was a sort of grey colour I'd never seen before in "pan friend fish" portions. It didn't look at all "pan fried." It was also swimming in what looked like oil of some sort. My wife remarked on it's strangeness and asked if I wanted to send it back and order something else. But at this point I should mention that time was moving on. For some unfathomable reason the time between ordering and our table was around was quite long. In fact, I kept looking from where I was sitting into the kitchen where the cook appeared to be a Sikh. I had to wonder what he was doing in there since the only other customers had already been served.

Keeping in mind that we had to make our way back to the car parked on the roadside, and knowing that I'd need all my strength to cope with the next phase of our drama and that I'd see if the fish was as bad as it looked. To be fair, the fish wasn't off or I wouldn't have eaten it. But it was terribly overcooked and dry, despite the oil. I made up for the it by sharing the generous and perfectly cooked chips that came with it.

It gives me no pleasure to give a family owned Tutukaka Coast local eatery a poor review. That said, I hope my experience was an exception to the fine reviews I've heard from Coast locals. I'd like to try it again sometime when I've got the time to send back the fish if it's as badly presented as the one I was served.

Date of visit: April 2018
3  Thank Robet F
Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

The iced coffee was delicious and the scones, muffins, pies and cabinet food looked great. Breakfast was ok too. Staff were very helpful & friendly.

Date of visit: April 2018