“Great food, excellent service”

Big Fish Bar and Grille
Ranked #4 of 19 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 13 August 2017

I have heard about the Big Fish Grille for several years and finally drove the 60 miles to try it out. Even though I know the roads around that area, it's not an easy place to find so plug the address into your GPS before you go. It's on a dead end road and is part of a really nice marina on the Illinois River. Our server was Christine and I highly recommend her. She was cheerful and helpful and gave us the attention I like in a restaurant like the Big Fish. I had Monchong, a Hawaiian fish on Resoto with mango and although the resoto fell short in flavor the Monchong was excellent and I enjoyed every bite. My Wife had the Maryland Blue Crab Cakes with horseradish mashed potatoes and fresh green beans. The crab cakes were excellent and the potatoes were very tasty. For dessert we had the Creme Brulee and again it was very good but fell just short of excellent. We enjoyed the food, the service and the decor. Big Fish is a fun place to eat and like most marina restaurants, you don't have to be dressed in the 9's to feel like you fit in. Shorts and flip flops work fine. I suppose you could get out for less but it was $100. with the tip for the two of us and we didn't have any drinks or wine. I will however go back, we enjoyed Big Fish Grille that much.

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Went here on a Friday evening after getting detoured due to construction. The restaurant is probably losing business and I would suggest some better signage. My husband and I got there early enough to get a table on the patio. We were asked if we had reservations, we did not, but were seated promptly by Melinda who was also our server. She explained the specials and took our drink order immediately. We started with an appetizer of calamari that was delivered quickly, piping hot and delicious. She also brought a basket of 3 warm biscuits, also good. We ordered fish and chips and a shrimp and grits dinner that were both served very hot and quite tasty. We both decided we would come here again, now that we know how to find the place. We live in Orland Park so it is quite a distance but the outdoor setting was peaceful and the food and service was good so we would come back.

Reviewed 30 July 2017

Four of us went to dinner at the Big Fish Bar and Grille in Wilmington last night. It took forever for our waiter to even approach our table. I asked him for a glass of White Zinfandel wine. He said that they don't carry White Zinfandel. He offered me Chardonnay. I told him that I didn"t like Chardonnay because it's too dry. So he offered me water instead. So water it was.

The waiter brought us 4 small cheddar biscuits with our salads. They were delicious. We asked for another basket of biscuits. He said that they were in the oven and would be out shortly. We finished our salads and inquired about the rolls for the 2nd time. Still not done he said. 30 minutes later when we got our meal we asked for the rolls again. Once again he replied that we would receive them as soon as rhry were done. Now 45 minutes have passed. Then a new customer sat down in the next table and got their rolls right away.

We finished our dinners and everything was delicious. We asked for 4 coffees and a dessert menu. We never did get those rolls mind you. 10 minutes later the waiter comes back with the dessert menu. No coffee. I again asked him for coffees. He said that he was brewing a fresh pot and would bring them out as soon as it was done. I said is it going to take as long as the biscuits? He came back empty handed and asked for our dessert order without the coffee of course. I said Coffee? It's brewing he told me. He brought the coffee along with the dessert. All of our coffee were cold.

We are never going to this restaurant again. This employee was the worst ever.

Reviewed 26 July 2017

I love the atmosphere along the water and we like to eat outside when the weather is nice. Their food is delicious and has great flavor combinations. Their prices are expensive but their fish is very fresh. I love their little biscuits but you have to ask for them most of the time.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

We have eaten here a few times and it has been good everytime. Prices are a little high, but great views and service has always been good.