“Always something unique and differnt”
Review of The Olympic Tavern

The Olympic Tavern
Ranked #31 of 381 Restaurants in Rockford
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 12 July 2018

This is one of the few places to go for a later meal with out feeling like you're in a bar or being limited to burgers. Their staff is friendly and the menu is diverse and always changing to offer seasonal dishes that pair well with their drink selections. Fair warning - during times when it's busy service can be slow but the staff does all they can to communicate the wait and apologize for it. My picks are the crab fritters and Cesar salad (It's no ordinary Cesar).

Reviewed 10 July 2018

A group of cousins meet once a month and like to try new and established restaurants. The Olympic is in a part of town that does not have many restaurants but its ability to operate is great for the community. However, on this night, there wasn't much for us to enjoy. We wanted an table outside and told they were unavailable, even though we could see empty tables. That, however, was probably because of serving problems. That's certainly what happened to our group of five, who waited for our server to take our order, then waited probably 45 minutes for our food. And the dishes were average at best. We drove about a half-hour to go to the Olympic and it will be a long time before we make that drive again.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

Always great food and service and the menu has a great selection. There is definately something for everyone. The patio is wonderful!

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

I was in the area and stopped for lunch. I ordered poutine and their fried chicken thinking I could take the leftovers home. My waitress was friendly enough. The poutine came out fast and the fries and gravy were decent but the curds weren’t melted at all, just hunks of cheese and they never melted into the dish. The fried chicken actually has the option on the menu to order white or dark meat. I forgot to say dark meat when I ordered and instead of asking me, the waitress went with the more expensive white meat ($2 more). Not a huge deal but a bit disappointing that she went ahead and made my decision for me rather than asking me what I wanted. The chicken came out and again tasted ok—slight burned undertone to it but not hugely noticeable. The chicken was overdone so I was only able to eat about half of it—no leftovers. It was served with real mashed potatoes and a dark gravy. It was fine, I took a couple bites but didn’t feel obligated to finish it. The other disappointment was that although my waitress checked on me, she failed to notice or ask if I wanted a water refill, even though my glass was empty. My husband swears by their soup so if you are in the area around them and decide to stop in, go for one of their soups and maybe give their burger a try. I’ve heard the burgers are good too.

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

Has a big beer selection. The mixed drinks were not that strong at all. It is kinda loud in there. But the food is good and worth the price.