“Big Stone Eagles”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 March 2018

I've wanted to try this place for some time. Driving by, I noted the stone eagles out front, and the street sign which said "not a chain - family owned" which intrigued me.

Looking over the reviews (from people with 1 or 2 reviews under their belt), I was left wondering what the heck was going on. Either there were "ringer" reviews going in (both for and against) or a lot of people were trying this place out without writing many reviews before.

We decided to try it anyway.

So, the plusses:
Good cuts of meat.
Large cuts of meat. (Question: Who in the heck can eat 44 ounces of sirloin? Even for $38?)
Good service with good attitudes.
And for me, a steak served on a sizzling platter, although I think they could take that down a hundred degrees - I'll explain that later)
Decor: 2 Indian Motorcycles on the wall in the bar area, and tons of stuff hanging from the ceiling, lights, on the bar - lots of photos and artwork.

The minuses:
The sides were unremarkable. (A scoop of garlic mashed potatoes with a 12 ounce filet?)
We weren't asked if we wanted to be seated in the dining room or the bar, and ended up being seated in the bar. Not that being seated in the bar is bad - it would have been nice to have been asked.

So, here is "the rest of the story," as a famous radio orator would say.

We arrived, and were greeted promptly with enthusiasm at the front door, who seated us promptly in the bar. The table we had was a little tight (you couldn't lay the Large menus across the table without interfering with the other person's menu - not the end of the world)

There was a large ledger board on the table with specials - all steaks were 10% off. There were steaks on the ledger board - come with your appetite, because these steaks aren't small. 38 ounce sirloins, 12 ounce filets, 44 ounce porterhouse - Big Steaks.

There was a special on the door, for a 6 ounce filet with 3 shrimp, as well as onion strings for 19.95. I selected the 12 ounce filet, medium rare. Both came with a salad - I had a caesar, which had no anchovies, but had a liberal coating of dressing, and a good amount of croutons. The wife had their house dressing, which was pretty good.

The food arrived in fairly short order after we finished our salads. The platter with my steak was sizzling and steaming away (you could see the steam / smoke rising to the ceiling, and rolling around there). I had to wait a few minutes before I could cut into it.

I cut my steak in slices, and it was actually closer to rare in the middle, rather than medium rare. In the time it took for me to cut a slice, then cut the slices into bite sized pieces, it was at medium rare. The filet was nicely seasoned - I added nothing, and enjoyed it.

My wife's filet had a bit of gristle in it, so she cut it in smaller pieces and ate around it. I had some small amount in my filet.

They buy their beef locally (go Local!) and it is "stone eagle" quality for USDA. Translation: This isn't USDA Prime, likely closer to Choice. It tasted great.

The garlic mashed potatoes had to wait for a few minutes for me to eat the steak.

The wine list is okay - the house Cab tasted as if it had been opened a while ago.

So, to round this up:
1. The food tasted great.
2. The dining room staff is in t-shirts and jeans. If you can't deal with that informality, too bad for you.
3. The sides could be better, but still tasted fine.
Lots of eye candy in the bar area to keep your interest.

So, as someone with a lot of reviews, I'd come back again. Keep that in mind when reading reviews about this place.

1  Thank AvWriter

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Looking at the outside, I was expecting the inside to be like a castle, elegant. Go inside, it's like someone cleaned a man's cave and left everything in the restaurant. The food was very good.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

We'll give it another try because they may have been having an off night. While our service was GOOD, we saw terrible service at some other tables.
The table next to us waited so long after being seated (they were there before us) that after our waitress had come, they had to ask for service. Then, their waitress had something wrong every time she came to table. I also noted tha5 as she served tgeir drinks, she held the glass at the top, where their lips would be touching as they drank. This is disgusting and denotes a lack of or need for re-training.
The food was good, although not great. Our service was good. The location and facility was good. Pricing was great. Beer selection cumould be better but wine selection is good, full bar available. We didn't have dessert.
The bar area looked fun so long as it isn't the smaller overflow bar which is too small to move in. Bar service was very slow to start (for our entire room) but improved after the initial wait. Again, our wait staff service was good.
One thing I can not abide is the wait staff wearing doing tight workout pants, t's and hooded sweatshirts to serve my food. It is a low class look.
We just moved to town and will likely try them again at some point. We have many more places to explore in town!

Reviewed 6 March 2018

OK, I expect a place that is serving $40 steaks to have a specific look and feel. The ambiance is not bad -- a bit like eating in an antique store but relatively clean. Lots to choose from on the menu. We had the Oyster Rockefeller -- my wife and I first dated at the old Jungle Jim's backs in the '80s. The oysters were much better then. I'd skip them if I were you. The wine list is great. We ordered 2 steaks. They were very good but not medium rare as ordered. Being that they were served on a hot fajita plate did not help (kinda like Applebees..). The sides were cold and bad. The wines glasses were dirty. The staff were dressed like they were ready to clean the floor...not serve food. Not a bad place to get a drink and maybe some appetizers. Next time, we will get dinner some place else.

Reviewed 2 March 2018

We are in Rockford for the weekend and swung in for a late lunch. We enjoyed the atmosphere, the food was delicious and our server Christy was top notch!

Been to The Stone Eagle Tavern? Share your experiences!