“Lively live music on outdoor patio”
Review of Mama Vesuvio

Mama Vesuvio
Ranked #14 of 65 Restaurants in Palos Heights
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Description: Mama Vesuvio's East is located in Palos Heights. We are a dining, small banquet, bar/lounge, and outdoor patio Italian restaurant on Chicago's southside that's been around for over 30 years.
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

Met up with a group of old friends on the outdoor patio at Mama Vesuvios on a Saturday evening to hear a favorite local band play oldies rock music, and enjoy a lazy summer weekend with drinks, food and friendship. Our reservation was for a large group to sit near the stage. It was not honored this time as it has been in the past.

Nice patio area filled with umbrella topped tables and one area with a solid overhang to provide good protection from sun or rain. Furniture was rather dilapidated; but it’s an old restaurant and it’s an outdoor patio so no big deal. Music was generally well executed, but was unnecessarily loud making it nearly impossible to chat during cocktails and dinner. Wish they would wait until later then raise the volume for those who ventured to the dance area after dinners were et.

Bocce ball courts to the side were being enjoyed all evening. Wait to use a court was not long that night.

Full service bar has no specialty cocktail menu. Limited wine and beer selections are adequate at easy to digest prices. Service was polite and attentive by waitress and hostess.

Food was average to uninteresting. Some of us shared our tastes of our food orders. These are my opinions of food.

Chicken soup was very good— better than average. Chicken Cesaer large salad had a crusty Parmesan bottom that makes it better than average. Would order both again.

Roast beef sandwich was served with generous portion of cheese and au juice on the side, flavor was unremarkable. Probably would not order that again.

Seafood in tomato plus parmesan-laden cream sauce over fettuccini had medium sized shrimp and larger scallops. Seafood cooked to proper consistency... not overdone. Thank you. Sauce was satisfying and allowed the seafood flavor to be apparent. I would have liked a bit more garlic or a dash of pepper heat to give it some pizazz.

Pizza with sausage was very plain tasting. I’ll go elsewhere for pizza.

Reviewed 20 August 2018

We had a family party at Mama Vesuvios tonight for 23 people and everyone ordered from the menu. We are an all Italian family so our Italian food standards are pretty high. Everyone that had the Gnocchi said that it was good and that the red sauce "wasn't bad". We mostly don't order sauce out because it just doesn't taste like ours. Some of the kids got the Fettucine Alfredo with chicken and enjoyed it. The Chicken Piccata/Chicken Limone dishes are exactly the same the only difference is capers. Usually this type of chicken is pounded thin, breaded and sauteed. Their version is basically made with the chicken tender part of the breast. It's okay but I wouldn't order this again. They also serve it over linguine. They were very accommodating when I asked for mine to be served over vermicelli (and everyone wished they had done it as well). My son and husband ordered the steak sandwich on garlic bread. One was ordered medium and the other medium well. Unfortunately, they both came to the table extremely rare. Overall, the meal was just average. Please keep in mind that we are tough critics. Now, having said that, I was here a few months ago for another get together and we had pizza. It was really good and everyone enjoyed it. That would definitely be my recommendation, go for the pizza! They also have a nice kids' menu and a great enclosed patio that has live music. It's worth giving it a try and I also think that when you have such a big group, the quality of the food may suffer a bit.

Reviewed 31 July 2018

First, let me just say I have no relationship to Mama Vesuvios..that being said, this 1st time customer LOVED everything about it. My husband and I needed a late dinner. We were happy to hear they were open til 11 on Friday and decided to try. We have lived in the area 30 yrs and every time We have gone by its been crowded..weren't we the fools for not trying sooner!. Anyway, we parked in the back lot and went through the outdoor patio. So nice, plenty of seatiing with some shade and bocce lanes. Looks like they have live music on the patio. We decided to eat inside and liked the bar area that has nice tv's so we could watch our favorite team (,the Cubs)I while eating. We started with that warm, crunchy bread..oh sooo good. I ordered the chicken tetrrezzini and my husband the steak standwich. The salad with my dinner was nice. Only recommendation..add croutons and I'd love more. I ordered a glass of wine with dinner. Mama, I commend you for giving a "true" glass. Most restaurants only fill half and when I ask what happened to the other half they laugb..ugh no joke. So, thank you!! The food was the best Italian food we've ever had..my husband was sneaking some of mine when I was sipping my wine.. He also enjoyed his steak sandwich, which had a nice piece of steak on it. My chicken portion was enough for 2 days, another thank you!. We got to chat with the owner's wife and all I'm asking.. "Please don't retire anytime soon, PLEASE!!" I can't wait to come back and try the pizza. Keep up the great food, great service, great ambiance.

Reviewed 23 July 2018

The Italian dishes are wonderful, good size portions and the price is the best in the area.The pizza is out of sight. The restaurant itself is clean and cozy. The service is beyond reproach.

Reviewed 30 January 2018 via mobile

I would rate the food as 4 star quality, with prices of a 2 star place. I was definitely expecting to pay more. Portions are large. Food is good to great. Biggest lasagna dinner I have ever seen. Prices like I said are low enough to lower your expectations and then be pleasantly surprised when you taste your food.