“Pastries that are as good to look at, as to eat”

Schlegl's Bakery and Cafe
Ranked #2 of 3 Dessert in Lincolnwood
Reviewed 20 November 2017

We stopped at Schlegl's Bakery and Cafe and I was really struck by the visuals in the display case. The cakes look extraordinary. The chocolate coffee cake and the chocolate chip coffee cake, look absolutely decadent. They also had apple cider donuts and had samples of them available, as well. The staff is friendly and efficient. The only thing that slows things down is customers who don't make up their minds until they are waited on. We picked up a piece of carrot cake, two chocolate brownies and a chocolate eclair. We both thought that the chocolate eclair has some of the best custard around. It was awesome. Prices are reasonable.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

I'm not sure if the donuts and their baked goods are the best on planet earth, but they truly are delicious. Schlegl's Bakery is one of those bakeries that you keep coming back to you and trying different things, wondering, if each is as good as the previous baked good. The staff is always friendly and the prices are reasonable.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Schlegl's Bakery & Cafe is located on Touhy Ave., just east of Crawford Ave. Though small, when you walk in, you'll be impressed with the colorfully decorated pastries and baked goods that are in the display cases. We picked up a half dozen donuts. All of them look good, but most importantly, they taste good. The staff is friendly and efficient.

Reviewed 8 April 2017 via mobile

I can't believe I lived in Skokie for five years before discovering this place. Absolutely the best bakery in this area. German in orientation. Wonderful apple strudel. Nice selection of cookies and sweet rolls. I recommend the custard Danish. From the taste, I think everything is made from scratch. Nice cakes too and they will write on top of them for no extra charge. Not open on Sundays.

Reviewed 26 October 2016

I was really impressed at the variety of baked goods that were on display when I walked in to Schlegl's Bakery & Cafe. Beside the obligatory Chicago Cubs cookies, I also picked up some donuts. Each of the different types that I tried were excellent. Prices are reasonable and the staff is friendly.