“Best Steakhouse in the Area”
Review of Golden Steer

Golden Steer
Ranked #3 of 79 Restaurants in Forest Park
Price range: US$11 - US$64
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A local hot spot since 1969, the Golden Steer Steakhouse is famous for its steaks and chops as well as its French Onion Soup. Every dish is prepared the moment you order it. From your first course to your last, our goal is to satisfy you, the customer. Golden Steer Steakhouse has been featured on Check, Please!, Chicago's Best, and many publications. Stop on by and experience what many locals call home.
Reviewed 10 March 2018

I just love this place. It is quirky and out of date and the decor is well lets just say humble. But the food is out of this world. Perfectly cooked steaks, some great special like beef stroganoff. I even got up the nerve to try the liver and onions and I was not disappointed. The French Onion soup is as good as you will ever taste anywhere. Their homemade roquefort dressing is superb. Good burgers. I've never had anything that wasn't really good and I eat there about once a week. Can be crowded. Wait staff is really old school and can be a bit surly but you won't care once you've gotten your food.

Reviewed 29 January 2018

My husband and I both love Old School restaurants like this and, sadly, they are a dying breed. I grew up in Chicago and can't believe I had never been here before. The restaurant is small and cozy. Hostess was very friendly and we loved our server, who was sweet and thorough. It is a bit loud, but that didn't bother us. Also a bit warm with the open kitchen, but it's all part of the ambiance! Bread came out warm and crusty. Then we ordered a bottled of Chianti (because what else would you order at a place like this?) and it was delicious. French onion soup came out and it was fantastic -- just perfect. All the food comes out piping hot and quickly. Salads were next and I would highly recommend the garlic dressing. Very tasty. I appreciated how cold the salads were too. Next up was the entree. My husband ordered the prime rib and he liked it a lot, especially with the horseradish on the side. I ordered the Scrod special and have to say that I was disappointed. It was rubbery and tasteless and I couldn't eat it, even with the tartar sauce. Classic mistake on my part. . .when at a steakhouse, order meat! I wasn't really bothered by the entree because I was full already anyway, but when we go back I will order something else. That entree shouldn't even be on the menu. Both entrees came with a nice baked potato with sour cream if you want it. Finished the meal with the chocolate mousse which was creamy and delicious and plenty to split between the two of us. We really enjoyed the overall experience here and will definitely be back.

Reviewed 21 January 2018

If you want a good throwback steakhouse, Golden Steer is the place. It's unpretentious with great steaks, and some really fish dishes for the non-meat eater. We've been going to Golden steer for years, but haven't been in a while. It was a birthday dinner for 2 members of our group of 8, and all of us thoroughly enjoyed our meals. The fillets were prepared perfectly, as were the t-bone and ribeye, and the fish entrees at our table were wonderful. One of the staples at the Golden Steer is the baked French onion soup, which you can order with your meal, which is wonderful! If you happen to visit there on Friday or Saturday, prime rib is available, but if you like your on the rare side, get there early before it sells out. the cocktails are reasonably priced, and there's also a decent wine list to complement your meal. The birthday ladies were presented with complimentary tiramisu, which was quite good as well. A tried and true steakhouse, Golden Steer remains one our go-to places.

Reviewed 22 December 2017

We visited the Golden Steer Restaurant with friends that highly recommended it plus the ordering the prime rib dinner. We made reservations for 7:00pm and arrived early (1st error) did'nt get seated till 7;30. Lets paint this picture; the restaurant is small ... limited seating and virtually no waiting area except for the bar area which has 4 or 5 small tables occupied by diners (not bar patrons) After a 45 minute wait the four of us were seated in the bar area at one of these undersized tables (second error).
We ordered the prime rib which was on special at $31.00. It was served with a baked potato and so called "world famous" onion soup and a salad. Soup came out quickly as did the salad. we ordered the baked clams as an appetizer which also came quickly. The main course took quite a while to make it to the table. Now here is where everything falls apart ... NOISE and OVER CROWDING . We could not hear ourselves talk Plus we were told "70 people" entered the restaurant ( which woud be impossible based on available square footage .) Whatever the number, the bulk of then entered the bar area standing shoulder to shoulder / butt to butt. Noise is one thing but having people stand with their butts in between our chairs is quite another. I addressed this problem with the seating hostess ... She could not care less. I spotted an empty table in the main dining room and asked to be moved there ... She told me "it was reserved for another party" ... now i am insulted and doing a slow burn . Finally the GM came to our table and repeatedly (and insincerely) apologized for the problem. After the 4th or 5th apology, i basically told him to stop his apologies and fix the problem .. his fix, and UR gonna love this, "free dessert".

I like to provide photos with my reports, but intentionally omit them on this report. Here why; the quality of food here is over rated. As to their "world famous onion soup" ... if you ever had onion soup theirs is no better. Ever see or eat a prime rib? ... theirs is no better. How about the baked clams? My wife makes better. Add the restaurants lack of ambience, over crowded seating, lack of space, and total disinterest in customer satisfaction ... then you have a good idea of what to expect. So if you like being abused and overpaying for mediocre food, your gonna love the Golden Steer Steak House. The only thing about the Golden Steer that I can recommend is STEER clear of this establishment.

1  Thank Eagle525
Reviewed 22 December 2017

Our 5 adult 1 toddler party came here for a Christmas dinner. The restaurant is a casual affairs place with excellent service and very good food. We had as appetizers smelts, clams and shrimps all very nice. They are noted for their baked onion soup which is a must. Our table had ribeyes, filets and a steak with shrimp. All entrees were very good. Excellent service, casual joint, very good food.