“Gorgeous atmosphere, a special experience!”
Review of Maple & Ash

Reserve with OpenTable
Maple & Ash is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #85 of 10,828 Restaurants in Chicago
Neighbourhood: Near North Side
Description: Maple & Ash is an innovative take on the traditional steakhouse – mixing a modern aesthetic with authentic service to deliver classic wood-fired dishes. With a sumptuous menu crafted by two-Michelin-star Chef Danny Grant and a wine list named "one of the most outstanding in the world" by Wine Spectator, Maple & Ash finds a way to celebrate every moment.
Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

Let me start by saying that the ambience is top notch. The bar is beautiful and offer great wines and cocktails. We gazed around the Decour for quite a while because it was so nice. Once our table was ready, we were seated and quickly greeted by our fantastic waiter Jamie. Not only was he knowledgeable, but truly added to the overall experience with his personality.

We decided to go for the I don’t give a f...experience and are so glad that we did. It is very expensive, but a true experience. The food was top notch and quite frankly, you do get your moneys worth. To begin, Jaime brought over a raw oyster topped with beluga caviar sitting on top of a chilled vodka shot. He advised us to drop the entire muscle caviar concoction into the shot and drink it all at once. While I was skeptical, I did it anyway, and actually thoroughly enjoyed it. We then really started with the hot seafood tower, of which everything was fantastic.

After that, a fantastic wedge salad with large chunks of crispy bacon or pancetta was served and it too, was amazing. After that came a large amazing ribeye, scallops, salmon (which was my least favorite) asparagus, pasta, mashed potatoes and an incredible lamb chop.

To top it all off, we had a tower of toppings to go along with delicious gelato for dessert. I’m not kidding, there were a dozen different toppings and it was quite fun.

The service couldn’t be better and the ambience was as good as the food.

Date of visit: May 2018
Mason M, Guest Relations Manager at Maple & Ash, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2018

Lauren,

Thank you so much for this! I will pass your kind words on to Jaime.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

So if you have never been to Chicago, which we had not, everyone talks about the steak. There was a steak restaurant on every corner. We were convinced to go to Maple and Ash. Sunday night at 8. The place was crankin. Young and old. Dressed and dressed down. Great vibe. Our waitress Saundra was cool and knowledgeable. The menu was extensive and the quality was beyond. I love good meat but this beat anything I have ever experienced. From the filet to the bone in strip to the rib eye fat cap it was amazing. The place to go for steak in shy town.

Date of visit: May 2018
Mason M, Guest Relations Manager at Maple & Ash, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2018

Thank you, Rob!
I’ll pass your kind words on to Sandra.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

My wife and visited Chicago for our Anniversary and stayed Downtown. We loved the city and the shopping but we were a little disappointed with the food. So we wanted our anniversary dinner Sunday to be better. We made reservations at a "known" steak house, but we were still nervous because it was like the previous restaurants, recommended by Hotel staff and on the 'Map'.
So we went walking in the Gold coast area enjoying shopping and checking out menus at places that might be better.
And then our whole day/trip changed. While looking at an Outside menu of a 'Popular' place we met a man that introduced himself as David. He asked if we were planning on eating there and why we looked so depressed. We explained our situation with our dinner plans to celebrate. David then handed us his card; Maitre D' of Maple & Ash. I had not heard of it. He said follow me and I'll show you
around. So we went into the restaurant while they were still doing Sunday Brunch. David showed us around, explained the concept of the food and how and why they cook the way they do.
The atmosphere was phenomenal, the vibe up beat and it was a lavishly decorated place. We met Manager Rhea, and the other Maitre D, Gordon, that would be there in the Evening. We made reservations for 7:15pm. David gave his cell phone, since he would be leaving at 5:00pm. He said to call him(even though he was off work) when we were on our way. So we left and went shopping and to the Spa for my wife. At 7:00pm when we on our way we called David. He had everything set up. We arrived and Rhea greeted us as we walked in. Bought us drinks at the bar while they made our table, in the center of the restaurant with 24 foot ceilings. We were sat on time and met by Gordon. He introduced our waiter, Derek. He was wonderful and attentive the whole evening. I ordered the Aged Ribeye and my wife the 10oz Filet. We had Asparagus, Mac n Cheese and Potatoes as sides. Everything was perfectly cooked! Everything about the evening as perfect!
If you visit Chicago this place is a MUST GO!
Thank you to the entire staff for making our Anniversary something that we will always remember.
And thank you David for being the reason!

Rob,
Thank you, again, for your review! Happy Anniversary!

Reviewed 22 May 2018

This is an excellent restaurant. The food and service was top notch. The cocktails were well done and our server made some nice suggestions for sides and wine. It was a busy night but not so loud that we had to shout at each other like many restaurants these days. Went there with my wife and son for his birthday.

My problem came down to one word -- f#@k. They have a tasting menu called "I don't give a f#@k". The waiter said it while describing it to us. My problem is that I am just so sick and tired of having to hear the f-word everywhere these days. In general conversations everywhere. What happened to civility? So to have it be part of a menu for a restaurant that is "cool" and just doesn't need this to be cool irritated me.

I know this might not mean much to people reading because the food, service, drinks,etc were excellent -- but maybe the management will read this. My question is why? No need for it.

Dear Rollerboard20,
While our brand is based on a sense of playful irreverence, we do realize that the language inherent in these choices may be offensive. Please be aware that, if you choose to dine with us again, we will be more than happy to print menus for you without the language either verbally or in print. Thank you for your feedback and consideration!

Reviewed 15 May 2018

We chose Maple and Ash because they had a more extensive wine list than the other ten steak houses in a recent Chicago Magazine article. I was looking for a restaurant with a steak and a wine list I could afford. Maple and Ash seemed to be a good idea at the time. However, the service here was rushed, faster than McDonald’s, and the wine service was highly suspicious.

Our waiter answered our questions about the food, but the wine list was really over his head. He described a Saint-Émilion as a “standard Bordeaux blend”. Actually Saint-Émilion is across the river where merlot is the predominate grape, not the cabernet normally associated with a Bordeaux blend. We called him on it and he called the “sommelier” to the table.

I narrowed the choices down to a Saint-Émilion, one of two Orin Swift wines, and a Ridge Geyserville (2009). Finally, I chose the Ridge. The sommelier rushed off and the wait staff returned with appetizers, and a moment later, our steak and side dishes, but no wine. I objected to the rush. I did not want the wine to arrive with desert. At the rate these guys were moving, that is where we were headed.

Suddenly, the sommelier ran up to the table with a decanter full of red wine in one hand and an empty Ridge bottle in the other. Our steaks were rushed back to the kitchen. This was the first time in my life (73 years) that I have been served a wine that had not been opened at the table, the first time I did not see a cork. I have never had a wine decanted anywhere but at the table, or at a sideboard within my view. Tasting the wine, I was surprised at its softness and elegance, compared to any Ridge zinfandel I am accustomed to drinking. In fact it tasted suspiciously like a Saint-Émilion.

Moments after the "sommelier" left the table, our waiter retuned with a “fresh” steak and the dinner began. The steak was okay, but not up to Chicago standards. It had some gristle and seemed a little lean and flat for a dry aged prime steak.

The wine was very pleasant, delicate and refined as any Saint-Émilion, but nothing like a bottle of Ridge. The alcohol was probably around twelve percent, as you would find in any Bordeaux on either side of the river. We finished the bottle. We never could have finished a bottle of Ridge, which normally weighs in at around fourteen percent or more.

Bottom line: We paid a lot of money for fast food, and left with a bad taste in our mouth.

So what happened here? Something fishy at Maple and Ash.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank prndrgst
Mason M, Guest Relations Manager at Maple & Ash, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2018

Joseph,
I apologize for your sub-par experience. You left feeling rushed by an uneducated staff and, it seems, served a wine that you didn’t order that arrived before a less than average steak.

I assure you that this is nowhere near the experience that we wish to bestow upon our guests.

I would like to make amends, if you will allow me. I would like to have you and a guest in for dinner on my dime - to provide you the experience that you deserved the first time.