“Very good food, nice atmosphere”
Review of Acanto

Acanto
Reserve with OpenTable
Acanto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 10,258 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown / The Loop
Description: Across from Millennium Park, Acanto is a favorite for those who appreciate authentic, seasonally-attentive Italian food and an award-winning wine list. Acanto’s patio on Michigan Avenue is a dream setting for cocktails and mingling. Ideal for: conversation-friendly lunches, dinners and brunches, and happy hour wine gatherings Open for: Lunch, Dinner, Weekend Brunch and Happy Hour. Acanto is a Gage Hospitality Group restaurant. Other GHG restaurants include: Beacon Tavern, Coda Di Volpe, The Dawson and The Gage.
Reviewed 6 August 2018

Food was very good, and the atmosphere is very nice. The appetizers were very good. My wife had the dates and I had the bruschetta. The dates, in particular, were exceptional. The bruschetta also was excellent, with a generous amount of meat on top. We ate inside because Lollapalooza was outside and seemed loud. Pasta (I had squid inky pasta) was cooked al dente, and very nice though a little salty for my taste (same with my wife's pasta). Inside dining allowed for pleasant conversation without shouting at each other. I probably would score 4.5 if I could. Very good, though not in the very top tier of restaurants.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

At the suggestion of a friend, we met at Acanto for dinner. I left semi-satisfied and annoyed. Read on for details.

Located along bustling Michigan Avenue across from Grant Park, Acanto features indoor dining and patio seating. The weather was nice, so we sat outside.

Our food server's demeanor ranged from attentive to intrusive as my friend and I chatted and reviewed the menu. The young men refilling our water glass were fast and sloppy, splashing water repeatedly. Small things, for sure, but the things that are unnecessarily distracting.

We split the chicken picatta and cheese plate, reversing the order from dinner to appetizer for the wine transition from Prosecco to Pinot Noir. The chicken was serve with asparagus and capers. It was nicely cooked and seasoned though salty to the point of distraction. The cheese plate contained four cheeses, a mix of hard and soft of fine quality presented in small portions.

The wine list is extensive and marked up to about 2x retail. Our Kistler Occidental 2015 was $29/glass; good but pricey.

The patio seating was comfortable during the early evening. The food was enjoyable, losing points for portions and unnecessary salt. The service lacked polish. For the price, I expected more and less.

Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

Awesome service, great table, better food. We took our time with appetizers then dinner. We enjoyed all, not a bad selection. We were paced well and not rushed to turn our table. We even enjoyed sharing some dessert after we saw how good it looked. Great choice for dinner!.

1  Thank Diana R
Reviewed 25 July 2018 via mobile

Acanto is one of the one and only 10 for foddies!!
Why?
5 start service
5 star wine list
6 start food
Beautiful window view of the Millenium park

When you decide to differentiate between good and espectacular food, you are welcome here to try my choice !!!!!!

1  Thank PEDRO J T
Reviewed 25 July 2018 via mobile

Had the bruschetta to start and my colleague had the octopus. Both of us ordered a pasta dish which we ended up sharing and both were amazing. Wine selections complimented the food well. Sat outside on the patio and enjoyed a pleasant evening.

1  Thank kdanders