“Sweet fancy Moses, this place is AMAZING!”
Review of Shanghai Terrace

Shanghai Terrace
Reserve with OpenTable
Shanghai Terrace is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 10,109 Restaurants in Chicago
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Magnificent Mile
Cross street: Michigan Avenue
Transit: Red Line - Chicago; Michigan Avenue and Chicago Avenue CTA Bus Routes
Description: Recently ranked the number one "Chinese Restaurant in Chicago" by Zagat, the exquisite Asian decor enhances the intimate atmosphere of this venue, which is unique to the city of Chicago. Seating capacity fits 75 guests with additional seating on the Terrace during temperate weather. Also features an intimate Private Dining Room for up to 30 guests. The Shanghai Terrace offers Eastern skyline views over Chicago, serving Chinese cuisine with an emphasis on Cantonese and Shanghainese specialties.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First off, I was visiting Chicago and had an early morning flight the day after my meal at Shanghai Terrace. With that in mind, I took home - to FLORIDA - the leftover food from the meal because it was that good. We got a bunch of stuff to share, soup dumplings and fried rice and some spicy chicken thing and spicy eggplant thing... Man, it was all amazing. Great portions too, I can't recall but I am pretty sure it was meant to be for sharing and it was shared for sure. I didn't end up drinking cocktails but I had the rosebud tea that was a thing of beauty. Service was impeccable and considering the hotel in which this restaurant is located, I'm not surprised in the least by the overall experience. If you are splurging on a night at the Peninsula, may as well cash out the 401(k) and go for a meal at Shanghai Terrace too. Treat yo' self!

Peninsula_CH, Manager at Shanghai Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Holly C.,

Thank you for joining us at Shanghai Terrace and for sharing your kind review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the dim sum and entrees, and that you even had enough to take home with you! We appreciate hearing your positive feedback on the staff, and will be sure to share your comments with them as well.

We hope to welcome you again should your travels take you back to Chicago!

Reviewed 16 April 2018

My mum and I hosted a dear (Asian) friend (almost family) to his first time dinner at Shanghai Terrace and he was extremely impressed. We ourselves come to ST at least once whenever we travel to Chicago, and we've been doing so for 10 years. This dinner was the best ever in these 10 years. Instead of trying to be modern/cutesy, last evening's dinner was authentic Chinese (but not old fashioned) at its very best. Thus, making the evening special in every way. From the dim sum sampler (yes, well balanced flavors and thin skin for the dumplings) to the Peking duck with crispy skin, and the stir fried Chinese veggies, sea bass (exquisite), char siew, mapo tofu and seafood fried rice, everything was outstanding.

As always, Max gave superlative service.

I am looking forward to returning when in Chicago.

Peninsula_CH, Manager at Shanghai Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Dear DNARNA2014,

Thank you for choosing Shanghai Terrace and for posting your feedback. We are delighted to hear that you and your mother chose to host your friend at Shanghai Terrace and that you all enjoyed your experience. We appreciate your kind comments on the food as well as the service, and will be sure to share your feedback with Max. We hope to welcome you back again soon during your next visit to Chicago.

Reviewed 15 April 2018

The 6 piece sampler with 3 sauces was a delight of dim sum. Followed by Peking Duck with 8 pancakes for a half order. Service and decor were impeccable.

Dear PointerDetroit,

Thank you for visiting Shanghai Terrace and for sharing your kind review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the Dim Sum Sampler and Peking Duck. We also appreciate the comments on the service and will be sure to share this with our team internally. We look forward to welcoming you back again during your next visit to Chicago.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

Our first night in Chicago, we enjoyed dinner at Shanghai Terrace in The Peninsula Hotel.

We started with a variety of different dim sum:
-bbq pork buns
-lobster and truffle dumplings
-duck and foie gras dumplings

Each order comes with four pieces each - and they were delicious! The lobster/truffle dumpling has been rated best in Chicago!

For our entrees, I selected fried noodles with chicken, shrimp, and pork. It was absolutely wonderful, with many fresh vegetables... baby bok choy, tomatoes, bean sprouts, and more.

My daughter chose shredded beef and scallions... perfect flavors and a generous portion.

My husband selected chili shrimp which was also really delicious.

Each dish was delightful and the service was wonderful and gracious.

For dessert, we ordered a variety and then shared among the three of us:
-mango rice pudding
-sesame/chocolate rice balls.... Fabulous!
-raspberry pavlova
-napoleon with kumquats and sorbet

Such wonderful flavor combinations and blends if classic desserts with Chinese flavors.

The entire evening was perfect! Every part of our meal was wonderful and service was excellent. We will definitely return!

Peninsula_CH, Manager at Shanghai Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Dear 2beans2000,

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Shanghai Terrace and appreciate your kind comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the dim sum as well as the entrees and dessert that you ordered. We also appreciate your comments on the service and will be sure to share with our staff. We hope for the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 March 2018

What a pretty place inside the exquisite Peninsula hotel with excellent service and fancy food, but overall the food did not measure up to the hype or the prices. This is a 3.5 Star review.
Our party of 12 had just about everything! Here's what I remember -

Some stand-outs were:
Peking Duck - great skin & tender duck
Scallops with Truffle sauce - wow, my Fav* so yummy!
Lobster & chicken Dumplings with Truffle - tasty

Good:
Chilean Sea Bass-
Steamed Mkt Fish (Halibut ) - the ginger sauce topping was good
Vegetables: Chinese Broccoli - simply made, fresh, good

So-so:
Pork Shanghai Dumplings - so disappointing as the juice inside the dumplings is key but each one was stuck to the paper in the steamer & broke before anyone could get one in our mouth...
Spinach salad w/walnuts honey mustard- meh, just taste the salt
Yoshihama Abalone - sad, super expensive ingredients but very underwhelming taste
Dong Po Pork Belly - tasted bit off actually, very salty
Shanghai Fried Noodle - so little taste & stuff in it, very boring

Desserts: surprisingly pretty good for a Chinese restaurant as those are Not their specialties -
Green Tea Creme Brulee w/Sesame Gelato - Good!
Pavlova - raspberry cream, good
Sesame Balls with Choco - I think they enjoyed that
Tapioca pudding - looked decent
They also brought out a slice of cake for my dad for his BD - Lovely!!!

Some bottles of wine my brother ordered so I'm not sure what they all were.

Peninsula_CH, Manager at Shanghai Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2018

Dear Justsaygrace,

Thank you so much for visiting Shanghai Terrace and for sharing your review. We appreciate your thorough feedback on several of the dishes you tried and will be sure to share this feedback with our staff.

We are unfortunately disappointed to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your experience and I would like to learn more, should you be willing to discuss. I can be contacted at RichardHummell@peninsula.com.

We hope to have the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future!