“I wanted it to be a 5...”
Review of Friends Ramen

Friends Ramen
Ranked #1,782 of 10,732 Restaurants in Chicago
Neighbourhood: Gold Coast
Neighbourhood: Gold Coast
Reviewed 3 May 2018

The food portions are great - allowing you to choose a few small things and not leave feeling sick to your stomach is a blessing. I'd say I think I just made some wrong turns in the ordering process, but... here's the deal. I've been trying to eat less meat. I know, why bother eating ramen then, dummy. Well, I had heard this place had some good non-meat options and I'm still reveling in the memory of an amazing vegan ramen when I was in Tokyo a few years back... but I digress. Anyway, I got a mini bowl of the spicy rice noodle ramen which was spicy but not great. The noodles were good, nice bite and bounce to them but... I don't know... maybe I should have just gotten the added pork belly or something because I wasn't wowed. Why the 4 stars, you say? Well, the salad was DELICIOUS (I know, it's a salad... whatever freak. But it was good!) and the best thing on the plate was so good it warrants all the stars. If you don't get the crispy kale, you are missing out. So tasty! Add to that a delicious and cold birru and the freebie/included diet Coke and I was all sorted out. Plus it's a cool, cozy spot. Just the kind of place to tuck into on a cold, blustery Chicago evening. I'd go back for sure and try something different.

Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

Great place to warm up inside and out when Chicago winter hits. Ramen bowls are perfectly sized to encourage you to sample two or more different items. Just beware of the spicy chili oil . Great food in a cozy atmosphere.

Reviewed 20 October 2017

I ordered gyoza and a less spicy miso ramen. I was impressed that the ramen costs $6 only. When my ramen came I was shocked. I didn't expect it to be small and served in small bowls. I found the bowls cute and amusing.

You get to try 2 to 3 ramens without spending so much. My sister didn't believe me until I sent her a photo of my gyoza and ramen bowls.

Reviewed 14 October 2017

I love that they do small Ramen bowls. They're cheap so you can try 2 or 3. Very good flavor and great service. Small place but nice cozy environment.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

My husband and I were fumbling around on our phones looking for a quick place for lunch and decided to give this place a try based on the number of good reviews from google. We were not led astray! My mouth still waters when I think about this place. We visited around 3:00pm on a Saturday for a late lunch/early dinner. Our waiter explained the menu to us and recommended a few dishes, which we elected to try. One was a friend chicken ramen (unfortunately I forget the name). That bowl was jam-packed with flavor! The second bowl we tried was the fried cod fish and rice bowl. Holy moley that was incredibly delicious. We loved the chicken bowl so much we ordered another. The portions are small, so I would say order two bowls per person. I loved this place so so much. It will be the first place I return to on our next trip to Chicago.

Been to Friends Ramen? Share your experiences!