“Gourmet Mexican Food”

Maize Mexican Grill
Ranked #12 of 342 Restaurants in Champaign
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 3 May 2018

This review is for Maize on Main which is a full restaurant rather than the Green St location which is better for take out. This is the best Mexican restaurant I have been to in years. We hosted a bridal shower there and had chicken and beef fajitas, catfish, refried beans, zucchini blossoms, steak quesadillas, rice, home made tortillas and guacamole that was outstanding. All the dishes were excellent. Service was also excellent. The place itself is warm but nothing special. There is a back patio which can be set up for a band.

I would certainly return when I'm in the area and do recommend it to others.

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

First off, I like the food (for lunch or off a food truck). But! This is the same boring menu they have on Green Street.

This place could be so much more! They keep saying (since they opened) that we are implementing a full dinner menu with fresh and creative entrees. What the heck is taking so long?!?

Now please turn down the lights at night. They’re so bright my retinas are burned. JK. But really it’s too bright in here. And the staff frequently disappears to the back.

The guacamole is delicious (consistently the best in town) and I opted for the chicken enchiladas. Which were ok but over sauced and not much flavor. All I tasted was the sauce. Also please do not describe ‘refried’ purred beans as pinto beans. There is a big difference.

Best part of my meal the Guacamole and my beer.

1  Thank Keith S
Reviewed 6 April 2018

great food.I tried zucchini blossoms quesadilla and it's amazing! the fish tacos are great.
IF you want something spicy and different try TOrta ahogad.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

Their "Tacos al Pastor" (Marinated Pork) are as good as anywhere in Mexico. They are excellent probably due to the home made tortillas made on the spot, nice and warm. This is the thing to have for me!

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Enjoyed lunch at Maize Mexican Grill in the old train station in downtown Champaign. I had the chicken Gordita and it was filled with fresh chicken, lettuce, and tomato and it was served in a corn tortilla pocket. It was fantastic. The service was great and lunch for 2 was less than $20. Walking distance to the Amtrak station.