“Relaxing Snorkeling Adventure”
Review of Devil's Den

Devil's Den
Ranked #4 of 8 things to do in Williston
More attraction details
Owner description: Offers cavern and cave diving.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I went with 2 friends and my aunt on April 27th 2018. I had done ALOT of research on Devils Den and read a lot of the “know before you go” so I would be better prepared for our adventure day.

All I can say is that it’s totally worth it. It was $26.50 (after tax) to rent a snorkel, mask and fins and you get 2 hours swim time. We saw a few fish and no turtles but again, I read quite a few reviews that prepared me for that, so we weren’t disappointed to not see a turtle. The water was clear and blue and it was so relaxing.

We arrived around 11:30 and check in was easy. They give you a quick safety speech and send you on your way. It was not busy at all and we maybe swam with about 20 other people but the Den didn’t feel over crowded.

I would totally recommend making this a day trip during the week as I suspect the weekends are much more crowded.

If you’re looking for a pretty inexpensive, fun and relaxing day, stop by Devils Den.

All reviews
"swimming area"
"cave system"
"catfish"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed in one of the cabins and loved it. The grounds are beautiful, the cabins are very cute, and we really enjoyed petting the horses and goats at the ranch next door. The only things I would caution on: the water is very chilly all year long, and while it is beautiful to look up at the opening, the water itself doesn't have much to look at once you go underneath. Kinda bland. Don't hype it up too much, and you will enjoy yourself.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I drove by the Devil’s Den attraction as I was on my way to another location. I decided to stop and see what it was about. I went to the check-in office and found that it was a place to snorkel and scuba dive. The brochure given to me by staff states “…ancient rock formations with stalactites, fossil beds and much more, you’re guaranteed to leave with memories that will last a lifetime.” Well, that sounded interesting, I asked how long someone usually snorkeled and they said an hour or more. They said the water was filled with fish and turtles as well. I didn’t have my swim suit with me, so decided to return the next day.

COST: Weekday snorkeling is $15.00 with gear rental costing $10.00.

EXPECTATIONS: The staff tell you there is a lot of sea life in the water, lots of fish and turtles. They warn you that turtles are curious, but even if they approach you, don’t touch them.

SAFETY BRIEFING: When I rented the gear, I had to go through a quick safety briefing. The staff member told me that since they are primarily a scuba diving facility that scuba divers always have the right of way. Going up and down the steps entering the cave, if scuba divers are coming/going, you let them go first. On the dive platform, if scuba divers are entering or leaving the water, they have the right of way, so let them go first. In the water, a scuba diver gets to go wherever they want, stay out of their way. Wow. I looked around the office area, no where does it say anything about the place being a scuba diving facility primarily. They also want you to try on your flippers to make sure the size is right, except for the floor, there is no place to sit to do this.

STAGING AREA: There are picnic tables and shelters in a staging area before entering the cave. The shelters are marked for scuba divers only. Snorkelers can use the picnic tables to leave anything behind you don’t want to get wet. Your shoes, towel, etc. They don’t have lockers, so you have to secure everything else in your vehicle. They will hold your keys behind the desk.

SNORKELING: The water area is probably 30-40 feet in diameter. Kind of hard to judge how big it is. The only lighting is from a 10 foot diameter hole in the ceiling. So, if you go on a cloudy day, you won’t see hardly anything. The platform is quite large and has 2 sets of steps going into the water, which is always 72 degrees. I got my gear on, got in the water and floated/swam around the entire area. I saw 5 fish. Another snorkeler stated she saw a small turtle, but it swam under some rocks. I saw no stalactites, fossil beds or anything else. I suppose the ancient rock formations could be considered the cave walls themselves. As for being “guaranteed to leave with memories that last a lifetime”, they were more of disappointment than anything. I swam for 15 minutes around the entire cavern. I even stayed another 10 minutes and watched others snorkeling to make sure I didn’t miss anything. So less than 30 minutes later, I am ready to leave.

SHOWERS: You are told when you enter that they have hot showers available for afterwards. I head to the women’s bathroom and found 1 shower and 1 toilet. Grimy cement flooring with paint flecking off. Dirty walls, cobwebs and spiders on the ceiling rafters. I even had a huge bug join me as I showered. I can’t imagine how long you have to wait for a shower if they get busy.

SUMMARY: Totally disappointing if you just want to snorkel. I can only hope that the scuba diving experience is exceptional, otherwise it’s a waste for them too. The staff were nice enough, even while giving misinformation about the sea life. The primary purpose being a scuba facility bothers me, as it isn’t posted anywhere, nor was it mentioned when I visited the day before.

2  Thank Booperskp
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Our local Orlando Fox News recently featured a story of Devils Den and as I was in the area for Leesburg Bike Fest I felt lets check this place out!! I was there for about a total of 1.5 hr and that included getting situated with personal belongings, etc as your not allowed to bring “stuff” down to the spring. As you descend the stairs the water feels cold at 72 degrees but if you just get immediately wet it doesnt bother you. Refreshing and beautiful. I hadnt snorkled in a loooong time so I think i’m going to do a little more in the future! I also brought a borrowed underwater cam to use and that was fun!

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We came for the first time because we had seen it featured on Facebook so much and we live just 2 hours away, so we finally went! It's so amazing!! The water is crystal clear and a gorgeous blue. It's cold, but that was expected and didn't deter us. The Snorkle and fin rental for 2 was $50, but that's understandable considering how much gear costs and the level of cleaning they have to do once you're done. Qe got to snorkle for 2 hours, but it was so slow that day I honestly don't think they were checking. The girl who checked us in was very sweet and explained the guidelines very well. After we finished snorkeling, we walked around the gorgeous grounds taking tons of pictures. The quarry was beautiful and breath taking. I highly recommend checking this place out!

P.s. the cats are so adorable!

1  Thank DavidSPumpkins