“Perfect vacation home for a family reunion”
The Palm Island House
Great Room - Bay window and french doors to courtyard.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
The Palm Island House
Great Room - Bay window and french doors to courtyard.
Master #1 - bath ensuite.
Master #1 - bath ensuite.
Chefs Kitchen
Master #2 - with reading area.
Master #2 - with reading area.
Full bath 2 of 4
The Bunk Bed Room - sure to be a favorite.
Stair
Master #3 - with bath ensuite.
Master #3 - with bath ensuite.
Bathroom 3 of 4 - with shower and skylight.
Half Bath 4 of 4
Fireplace Room - off dining area.
Dining Area
View from kitchen.
Great Room - with bay windows and french doors to the courtyard.
Screened Lainai
The Palm Island House
Your Beach Path - just 1.5 blocks away.
Your Beach - just 1.5 blocks away.
Beach View - south
Lelus - in nearby Siesta Village
A place for grownups - martini bar in nearby Siesta Village
The Daiquiri Deck - in nearby Siesta Village
The Palm Island House
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
vpoudrier
Indiana
“Perfect vacation home for a family reunion”
Reviewed 12 January 2015 for a stay in December 2014

Family members from Indiana, Massachusetts, Virginia and Florida got together for an amazing week in Siesta key. The Palm Island House was perfect for 12 of us. We had friends visit for dinner and could fit 14 around the dinner table! We loved being able to walk to the beautiful beach and gather back at the end of the day to grill or cook in the roomy well appointed kitchen.
We'd all come back for sure!

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
BFPrynne
“Palm Island Paradise!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 for a stay in August 2014

Just spent a fabulous family week celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. The house is just beautiful-clean, spacious, lots of different areas for everyone to find their own space and very well decorated. It's on a quiet, peaceful island of its own but also right beside the No 1 beach in the USA and a short stroll from all of the bars and nightlife of Siesta Key. A wonderful place to spend a very memorable week. Will definitely be going back again.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Holly G
Alabaster, Alabama, United States
“WOW!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 for a stay in June 2014

What a beautiful house! We all had plenty of room to spread out, inside or out. It is beautifully decorated and so close to the beach and the shops at Siesta Key. We had no problems once we got there, very clean, we had everything we needed. Owners are great, there were no surprises. Beautiful, spacious kitchen... sometimes it was nice to stay in. I would definitely recommend this, especially for larger families or multiple-family vacations. Can I just say... I love the master bath shower!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Beautiful, clean house!
Liked least: Seriously? It was all great!
Travelling group: Teenagers
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Chris T
Sedona, Arizona
“Great accomodations!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 for a stay in July 2014

Great vacation location and accomodations! Siesta Key is beautiful and my family loves the beaches threre. Rental property was great for our family and was well kept. The property staff were very accomodating and helpful with our needs. Look forward to renting there again.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location!
Liked least: Having to leave.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
DAN1996
Pennsylvania, United States
“CAUTION: Think Twice Before Booking This Property (Gertrude Rentals)”
Reviewed 4 August 2014 for a stay in July 2014
people found this review helpful

I'll start with the positives for this property. There are two. #1 - LOCATION to beach was about 1.5 blocks. #2 - The size of the home suited us for the number of family/friends in our group. There were 10 people staying at this property most of the month. I cannot add any additional positives unlike the other few reviews found for this property. In my opinion, those reviews came from friends or family that stayed at the property, OR the management (Jonathan Jones) has left the property significantly falter since the last review was made in January 2014.

We booked this property after reading the few reviews and looking at the pics online (at Flipkey). I spoke with the owner, Dan Jones, regarding the rental. I did NOT use Flipkey to book the property. Dan Jones told me Flipkey charges both the owner and renter a substantial booking fee so we did a private transaction. The home was rented for the entire month of July.

I am going to list the issues with this property and you can make up your own mind regarding a booking. I would NOT ever recommend this property to a friend or family. I will provide pictures and additional information if you contact me privately. The pics are on my daughter's phone.
#1-MAJOR BUG INFESTATION! This property simply does not have an active extermination contract. We had small ants ALL over the kitchen, including the microwave. We noticed this the evening of our first day. Additionally, in the master bathroom and bedroom we had small spider-like bugs. We could not decide whether they were ants or small spiders but it was A LOT of them, all day, every day! They were crawled over the closet shelving in the bedroom and bathroom. I cannot begin to tell you how horrible THAT was each day. We could feel them crawling on us! I washed the bedding constantly because they bugs were on our clothing and hence got into our bedding. Additionally, one evening we went to Publix to purchase their made-to-order subs (excellent), we put a display of subs and snacks out on the main dining room table and almost immediately there were small flying bugs all over our food! Two of our guests found flees on them after sitting on the couch. I swept the couch and we sprayed, sprayed, sprayed. How toxic do you think that was for our lungs?! I spent SO MUCH MONEY purchasing various sprays to spray the house. I'd say we spent at least $60-$70 on cans of bug spray. The ant problem in the kitchen was still a problem when we left on July 28, but not quite as bad as it was prior to numerous sprays AND ant traps we purchased. I spoke to two residents of Palm Island, one being a realtor. They did NOT have a bug problem because they had an active extermination process/contract. Additionally, we have friends that live in Sarasota. They were at the house quite a bit and both agreed the house could not have been treated for some time due to the extent of infestation. This house was certainly not under an active extermination contract! Why didn't I complain? Read further. What were they going to do with a party of 10 people if spraying the house was necessary? I did not want our family or friends displaced due to poor management of this property.

#2-BIRDS in the chimney. The FIRST day within a few minutes of arrival we heard chirping in the chimney. I contacted Jonathan Jones, Siesta Key Management, he said they birds could not be moved and he would not get rid of the birds, they will eventually leave when the babies mature. He ASSURED me that we would not have birds in the house. July 4 arrives with a bird flying around the house at 6:30 AM! You know what happens when you have a scared bird in the house? We had bird droppings to clean up and quite a time until the bird was captured. The management never closed the draft to the chimney when he stopped by on our second day. He probably never gave it another thought. When the birds were chirping at ALL hours of the day and NIGHT, I should have called him. Regularly by 4:00 AM we ALL heard the birds giving their wake-up call. Would you call that a relaxing vacation? So much for sleeping in!

#3-HORRIBLE PET ODOR & Dirty upon arrival! The maid service here must be a quick change the sheets and towels and run kind of deal. Again, I have pictures on my daughter's phone. The floors were flithy! The rugs placed around the house slide around because the rug tape is old and VERY DIRTY. The tape no longer holds the rugs in place. Several times we had various people slip on the rug in front of the kitchen sink. Finally the rug went out on the screened in porch...which we never used! I found a large marshmallow and a WAD of chewing gum in the corner of the living room. In the master bedroom, while sweeping, I found a chewed up ping pong ball. I KNOW my dogs love to chew my daughter's ping pong balls when they get a hold of one, but we throw them in the trash! Obviously the cleaning service MISSED these things while cleaning between renters. The one chair seat was broken, but hidden nicely with pillows. I cannot even begin to describe the smell you walk into when you enter the home. It STINKS! We spent A LOT of money on trying to mask the odor! Again, I have pics of what we did to attempt to mask the odor. We purchased Glade Plug-ins, the Renuzit adjustable air freshners for every room, spray deodorizers. Lysol, and those air fresheners you place in the vents of your car. We purchased three packs of those and stuck them in the air vents in the fireplace living room. We left them there for the management to see. The smell was just horrible! The powder room smelled like cat urine! Perhaps a litter box was kept in that room at some point? I believe there was an extra fee if we wanted to bring pets. I doubt they use the extra fee to have the house thoroughly cleaned after someone does bring a pet! YUCK! EVERY person that entered the home commented on the smell. Plus, two of our guests found fleas on their clothing after sitting in the living room. It was horrible, and quite embarrassing for us as we rented the property and invited our friends and family! Again, I spoke to a resident of Palm Island and he told me the property where I was staying was not being kept up nicely and was merely a rental property where the owners wanted to make money, but had no pride in the property.

#4-Upstairs BATHROOM Tub Drain. The drain in the upstairs main bathroom did not work. Our guests had to HOLD the drain lever down to get the water to drain out after taking a shower. This was quite a problem because as they were showering the tub would fill up with water. We noticed duck tape residue around the drain, so we attempted to do the same thing...duck tape the drain lever down. It did not work as well as we thought it would, but it worked well enough because we had to continue to change the tape and make sure the tub was dry when applying the duck tape. Still, why should that have to happen. Imagine our embarrassment when our guests (most family) shared that the tub would not drain. Initially we thought it was a clog so once again, we spent money on that RENTAL to purchase drain cleaner. We spent so much on that house, they should be paying us money back!!! Unlikely! Plus, it's interesting a picture of that bathroom isn't featured online. Got to wonder why?

#5-No IRON! I had to go purchase an iron. Although the management provides an ironing board there wasn't an iron. When you are renting the home for monthly rentals, there should be an iron. I would also like to add that there was not a beach umbrella or cooler for guest unlike many other places we stayed on Siesta Key. Additionally, someone in a previous review commented on bikes. There were NO bikes at this property! that review can be misleading. If you want bikes, you will need to rent bikes in the village.

#6-The Mother-in-Law Suite. Nice idea. Cute, but the small fridge in the kitchenette did not work. Since we had 10 people, we thought we would use the small fridge for waters and beer for beach. NOPE! Fridge never got cold. What's the point of advertising something if it doesn't work? We even joked about "add that to the list for Trip Advisor."

#7-Neighbors to the left (if your facing house from street) are not quiet at night. We heard yelling & screaming at all ours. Used flavorful language and we had two young girls who heard a fight occur during the middle of the afternoon. That house, also, was in need of great repair. Of course, the owners of Palm Island house cannot control another neighbor or the way their home looks, but you as a potential renter should have a clue what you're walking into. Many of the homes on Palm Island are very neat and manicured quite nicely.

#8-Exterior of home needs clean up. The exterior of the home needs some TLC. I believe that's why the pictured featured was taken at night. To the left side of the house there are two garbage cans (these owners do not provide recycling, unlike other places we stayed on Siesta Key). Next to the garbage cans is a small closet/utility room. There was a hose coming out of the storage closet and just lying in front of garbage cans...rather sloppy. On that same side was a large piece of plywood just sitting their against the house. On the opposite side where there is a beach shower, there were two 2 x 4 boards just lying in the landscaping and another plywood sheet pushed up against the house. Each time we had storm the plywood would fall over and push the lounge chairs forward against the wall, which we would continually fix. This shows us that the management/owner did not have any pride in this property. You don't let stuff like that just sitting around. It takes away any appeal the property may have and looks sloppy.

#9-Dishwash door doesn't always work properly (lock) and the washing cycle doesn't wash dishes. In fairness to the management, Jonathan Jones did come out and add foam to the sides of the dishwasher so the door closed. It did not totally correct the problem, but we only had coffee cups and small stuff so we made the best of it. I had to re-run the dishwasher several times because the wash cycle did not wash the dishes correctly.

I would like to add that this was not our first trip to Siesta Key. We have been to Siesta Key at least six times and we have ALWAYS stayed in nice, CLEAN and bug-free properties. The property we did want (a four bedroom) was already rented in advance so we needed to find another four bedroom. I usually do my homework, read reviews and search details. This time I was fooled. Now I will be even more careful! If I had booked through Flipkey, I may have been able to get some money returned. Additionally, we paid the deposit through our Visa credit card. I wish I would have been able to use American Express, but we could not because the owners bank account did not accept AE. I would have filed a dispute without question with AE. I simply don't think a renter should have to spend ANY money on the maintenance of a rental property. We did what we needed to do because where else would we have been able to go? I had guests, both family and friends, flying into Florida from various states. They had their flights and plans made, I felt obligated to try to give them a decent place to stay. We could not have been displaced, and I was afraid that would have been the option had I discussed it with management. In the first place, the things I described above could not have been a surprise to Dan or Jonathan Jones. It was quite obvious to us. A good management company knows their properties. We NEVER before had issues such as the ones I described in this review.

Anyone interested in the pics of property, please contact me. The pics are currently on my daughter's phone. I will need to download them and hopefully share them.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Size of the property
Liked least: Bugs! Smell! Dirty!
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
12 Aug 2014
We absolutely love the jobs we do and are very proud of our properties and service. We only rent homes we own and don’t hesitate to invest in them. Actually, except for bath #4, which received only a facelift, the 2700 square foot 14 room “Palm Island House” was fully renovated and remodeled from stud to foundation just last year (the pictures don’t do it justice).

We want all our guests to happy and are sorry this party didn’t enjoy their stay. It’s unfortunate, but except for the new dishwasher latch, which was fixed within hours and the bird getting into the house, which we could not find, they did not contact us or give us any opportunity to address anything they mentioned in their review. Furthermore, and we have to say this, after a thorough investigation and conversations with both prior guests and the current guest, except for bathroom #4’s faulty drain latch (which took minutes to fix), there is no evidence of any issues at all.

We have requested each the three guests who stayed at the Palm Island House immediately prior to this party to review their stay and will ask the current guest when they depart. We all hope you will continue reading our reviews, we are very proud of them. - Daniel Jones, Jon Jones and Matt Warren.

PS We applied for a permit to add an upstairs deck (westerly facing) off master BR #2 and hope to have it built this winter.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing