“Good, not great...”

Sun, 24/10
20:00
Ranked #93 of 203 Restaurants in Ormond Beach
Reviewed 7 September 2021

Was headed to dinner with 2 other couples to a restaurant that did not take reservations and got there to find a hour and half wait so we audibled and found another restaurant close by and ended up here at Fugu. They had a pretty full house but was still able to be seated (outside under cover). Only half the people like sushi but they had tempura and grilled items so everyone was able to find something.

Overall, it was good but felt like it was a little pricey for the portion size. I don't mind a more expensive meal but want to fell like I got a little more for my money. They had some interesting drinks on the menu that my wife and I tried but felt like they were pretty weak pours, especially considering the prices for them (very premium).

Overall, we were glad to have found another restaurant that we didn't have to wait but the meal was average to good, especially considering the prices. We would probably not go back.

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (18)

Reviewed 5 September 2021 via mobile

Visited Fugu on Friday night for dinner. Server Jenna super knowledgeable and extremely pleasant. Enjoyed a very memorable meal of top-notch nigiri and sushi. Great table (even with no reservation), lingered and enjoyed our visit for two plus hours. Terrific upscale decor and tasteful vibrant atmosphere. Saturday night (misguididly) went to another nearby establishment for ramen and sushi...ended up leaving and going BACK to Fugu a second weekend night in a row. Sat at the exact same table - by request, and asked for Jenna again. Owner Curt recognized us and welcomed us back warmly. Sampled the signature Komodo Dragon cocktail, enjoyed wonderful wagyu sliders, and ordered the premium combo again. Stringent sanitation standards for food prep, clearly superior chefs in restaurant whites, fantastic menu items, a great atmosphere, and extremely fair prices. Two stellar dining experiences at Fugu - two consecutive nights in a row!

Date of visit: September 2021
Reviewed 31 August 2021

Well the view was spectacular. Really enjoyed the deck outside. I have to say I don't often write bad reviews but the sushi was definitely not fresh. I don't know what happened but the sushi tasted like 3 day old Publix Sushi. The drinks were decent but really expensive.... Good Bloody Mary. I was surprised at the cost though when I saw the bill. You better knock me off my feet if your gonna charge that kinda money for a cocktail. The portions were small, particularly on the sliders. Same with the Sushi. I felt like I needed another meal to come close to filling me up. The service was sub par. I waited for my cocktail like 10 minutes and had to ask again for the drink. Must've forgotten me! The server seemed too busy to really take time with our table. Again if your gonna charge me over a hundred for 2 people, I would expect better service then this. I don't know who's running this place but I'd try Takeya Sushi. Very fresh sushi and great service!

1  Thank B9563AVjanew
Reviewed 25 August 2021 via mobile

For my birthday we went to Fugu. We chose to sit at the Sushi bar. The sushi chef fix sashimi for us across the choices. It was wonderful. Such a treat and all done beautifully with a smile. Thank you Fugu fo making my birthday evening very rememberable

Reviewed 23 May 2021 via mobile

We can be real hard on sushi planes but no complaints for Fugu sushi. Neat atmosphere not your typical sushi joint. Our server Jenna was great and the sushi was fresh and flavorful. Try the happy ending roll!

Date of visit: May 2021