All reviews bit dated free parking juice and coffee water pressure comfy bed into nyc would stay again nice breakfast walking distance carbs microwave printer mall
Reviewed 15 September 2016

This old hotel has everything required for a day or week visit
Good wifi, clean, good breakfast; old but spacious rooms; good bathrooms with all amenities required.
Very competitive priced.
No restaurant, but there is enough possibilities in the area.
Over all, highly recommended

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
DouglasGray-Manager, Manager at Amsterdam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2016

Dear Hanskel
Thank you for your review we really appreciate you taking the time.
We don't currently have a restaurant but as you say there is a large selection all withing easy walking distance.

Reviewed 19 August 2016

The lobby looked nice, but all public areas (Lobby, Hallways, Breakfast area) did not have any air conditioning; all areas were hot in temperature. Our room had OLD furniture in it; plus the bed had two regular sheets on it..no fitted sheet. So, the sheet on the bottom would come off, and then I was laying directly on the mattress. Next, it stated on the website/my registration confirmation that the pet fee was $25 per night. When checking in, I was THEN told that I was $25 per night PER PET. I had two small dogs traveling with me. I told them this was not clear, and received a "TOO BAD." The breakfast was not good at all. It was old muffins and grocery store cookies that were brought out and even left in the plastic box with the packing label on it! It was so HOT and dirty in the breakfast area too. NEEDLESS to say, I was NOT happy. However, when I checked out, I pressed the issue about the pet fee, and I only had to pay $25 per night. I would NOT stay here again. Also, the top floor was abandoned, and looked like it use to be a bar, and now just has OLD furniture in it. The hotel, itself, smelled old and musty. That's too bad.

Room tip: Go to another hotel for a good room.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
DouglasGray-Manager, Director of Sales at Amsterdam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2016

Dear Connie
We are so sorry you did not have a good experience in our hotel. I can assure you that all your comments have been taken very seriously and we have been looking into all of these matters. We are confident that your experience would not be repeated.

Again we apologise.

Reviewed 10 August 2016

We stayed here as a base for NYC and it was pretty good for that - the hotel rates are much better that in Manhattan - we took the train in which worked out well - less hassle than driving and the station was just 15-20min walk away. The rooms were a decent size and pretty good - I would forget about the free breakfast - the staff during the day were great. The biggest problem was the wi-fi - to be fair it may have jut been a temporary issue - certainly on day one when connection was impossible - it seemed to get fixed - sort off by day 2 but connection was still a problem for all of our devices although we were told the number of devices should not be a problem

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay. We apologize about the WiFi, but at the time of your stay we were upgrading our equipment. We now offer a hi speed service and you will be able to connect as many devices as possible.
We certainly hope you will return.

Reviewed 8 August 2016

We use the Amsterdam whenever we have to be in Stamford for business reasons. It's a hotel that's seen better days but decent enough for a night's stay. Apparently the folks at this hotel don't have an allegiance to customers that stay there on a regular basis. We got charged a higher rate just a few days ago even though we had been told in a phone call earlier in the day that staying was no problem as there were many rooms open. Make sure you call ahead and get the rate or the person at the desk will come up with a higher rate for your stay. Otherwise, we have had no past problems with them.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
DRGray-Amsterdam, Manager at Amsterdam Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2016

Dear Barbara
We do apologize that you were given a different rate on the phone to the one given when you walked in. Due to general market forces our rates can actually change 2-3 times in one day. So our front desk staff will always quote the rate set at that particular moment.
Again I am sorry that this happens but I would suggest you request a rate by email. You will then have a copy to show the front desk staff. If you request a rate by phone, simply ask the person's name.

I hope that helps, but we do want to thank for being loyal and regular guests.
And the next time you are looking to stay, please let myself know and refer to this review and we will look at upgrading your room.
Douglas Gray
Sales & Marketing Manager

Reviewed 28 July 2016 via mobile

We called and spoke to the lovely Carlton on the front desk who was wonderfully accommodating and gave us a great price on a queen room for one night .
We arrived late evening to a warm welcome and the room was large and nice but the bathroom was terribly in need of a refurb, especially the bath tub.
Breakfast was pretty poor the next morning with a very unfriendly staff member who didnt even look at us .
Theres no air con outside of the individual rooms so the hallways and the breakfast room were stifling.
Really this was perfectly fine for an overnight stay , maybe not for a longer duration

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Our Carlton certainly gets a number of compliments and thank you for yours.
We are sorry your experience in the breakfast room the next morning wasn't as pleasant. We will look into this and certainly try to do better.

Hopefully you will come again.