All reviews the main lodge coffee shop cross country skiing continental divide sleigh ride movie theater horseback riding fire pit soaking tub nordic skiing beautiful property zip lining ski trails winter wonderland fly fishing wedding party outdoor activities
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

We spent a Thursday through Saturday in shoulder season at Devil’s Thumb Ranch (late April 2018). We stayed in the main lodge in the queen continential view room. Pay the extra for the phenomenal mountain view. There were so many thoughtful details put into our room and the lodge. My favorite was our bathtub overlooking the mountains. The bed was very comfortable - my husband who never sleeps well - slept like a rock both night.

For meals we ate at:

Hecks Tavern - My 2 cents is buy the burger instead of the steak. I wasnt impressed with the flavor of the steak but the burger was excellent. We also had the grilled cheese and tomatoe bisque which was large and delicious. Bartenders were excellent and even provide smores for the fire pit.

Hallowed Grounds: happy servers and nice breakfast and lunch choices. I had a bagel with Lox, my husband had the bacon/egg breakfast sandwich but were nice size and of good quality.

Ranch House: We had a window seat for a gorgeous full moon night. Our server Natalie provided one of the best dining experiences of my life. She was attentive, provided recommendations based on our tastes and went out of her way to make sure we enjoyed our experience. We had the bison and it was delicious. When my husband suddenly felt ill from the altitude Natalie shared her personal remedy and helped us get out the door quickly. I recommend you request Natalie, she provided superior service.

For Extra Services:

Fly Fishing: My husband booked a 1/4 day with guide Brad. He upgraded his package to fish on private water and he was so glad he did. He caught 15 to 20 rainbow and brown trout all medium to large in size. He would recommend booking with Brad, he was knowledgeable about the stream they fished and provided excellent guidance on his casting.

Spa: I booked the Zen package and was paired with Nicky. She did an excellent job and took care to be cautious around my back injury. I would recommend requesting her. This package was perfect for the high altitude dryness because it left my skin feeling hydrated. The spa facilities mirrored the lodge and were relaxing and clean.

My only two suggestions to the lodge:
1) Its time to replace the blow dryers at the spa. One of the two available wouldnt blow warm or hot and the other stopped working during use after getting excessively hot on the handle.
2) The addition of a fruit or yogurt option at Common Grounds would be great.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2018

From initial check in to last day checkout, this facility is the best! The very definition of "excellent service" and the accommodations themselves were perfect! Go stay here! Plenty of activities to enjoy and the scenery is breathtaking. The restaurants are beautiful, the service fast and the food was absolutely delicious. Cannot say enough good things about Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort and Spa!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2018

All staff is professional and personable best stay in the state of Colorado.Heck's kitchen breakfast and dinner was incredible. Stable staff was great and knowledgeable. Best week stay. Heated floors in bathroom shower and tub spotless every day when came back to room.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 April 2018

We had a lovely room, delicious meals, and I took a Nordic track lesson for the first time in 15 years! The Nordic Center staff and the instructor could not have been more welcoming and helpful. This ranch is close enough to Winter Park/Mary Jane for making a day trip there, returning to Devil's Thumb for the night. We appreciate that much of the building lumber is harvested beetle kill.

Room Tip: Such a nice place that I would NOT choose the more expensive room if we return. Definitely a luxury splurge.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2018

This was my 5th visit to Devil’s Thumb Ranch and most likely my last. 5 years ago, Heck’s had the most amazing Happy Hour with great food and drinks. During my last few visits the happy hour had been discontinued and the drinks had gone from good to undrinkable. I would have rated the food and service a 10 out of 10 five years ago, slowly going downhill on each visit, and unfortunately ending at about 2 out of 10 last week. The food was expensive and tasteless. I was especially disappointed in the breakfasts at Heck’s. My Eggs Benedict had undercooked eggs, burnt ham and cold hollandaise sauce. I compared my bloody mary to a picture I had taken in 2016 and it was nothing like it. No rimmer, no bacon, no fun! We decided to eat breakfast at the small coffee shop on site for our last day, but they were out of eggs and juice.

The spa was exceptional as always. We enjoyed the service and treatments very much and noticed the high level of service there hasn’t changed. The service at the main lodge and Heck’s was a night and day difference. This used to be my favorite Colorado getaway and I’m so sad to see what it has become. I really hope that they step up their game again.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family