My husband, Barry brought me here to Rocking K , romance cottage. Our first stay in Sonoma was memorable to say the least. Char is the best host you can ask for. This town is just a beauty. My goal is to return every year.
Gwen willis , in loving memory of my Barry, bear
|Check-in / front desk||Service|
|A romantic getaway||Older travelers|
Let's face it, I can't really call Sonoma rough, but Char's little Vineyard Cottage is truly a gem! It absolutely earns all 5 out of 5, and certainly warrants my first public review. My wife and I stayed here to celebrate our wedding anniversary and having the Vineyard Cottage as home base elevated the whole experience. I'll try to break it down:
For the guys (and I'm sure some ladies out there, too):
- Fridge was stocked with an assortment of beverages, including beer (and we're talking Sierra Nevada and the like, not MGD, etc.). You're probably heading to Sonoma to enjoy wine country like we were, but sometimes you just want a beer.
- Tastefully decorated: not too frilly, so you don't feel like you're staying in some tea parlor, but not so masculine or sterile that your significant other feels like they're staying in a man cave. Tastefully neutral, and I appreciate that.
For the ladies (and I'm sure some guys out there, too):
- No TV, so you don't have to worry about your guy ignoring you to watch sports, etc. I'm sure some of you might think this is a negative, but c'mon, if you're going on vacation to watch TV, you might as well stay home. And if it's really important to you there is Free WiFi (although not that strong of a signal, but it's free and it works), so you can bring a laptop or tablet and pull your shows up on Hulu or Netflix or whatever service you use.
- Plenty of closet space, so if you're one to pack your entire wardrobe for a two-night vacation, you'll have room for it!
- Full Kitchen - it's great to have a full kitchen at your disposal, complete with all of the appliances, and this kitchen was one of the best I've seen in a cottage! I love to cook, so we started each day with a full breakfast prepared by yours truly, which ultimately saved us some dollars to spend on our more expensive restaurant dinners.
- Spacious Shower with Great Water Pressure: I don't know about you, but I love strong water pressure. I mean, I'll take a hydrotherapy scalp massage any day over a bath, and this shower sure delivered. If you don't like strong water pressure for your shower, well I guess be warned, but I personally loved it.
- The View! Waking up looking out over a vineyard, especially this time of year with all of the leaves turning, is such a treat. It was very hard to leave that view behind!
- Private and Quiet: Apparently we had neighbors. If it weren't for their car parked next to ours and walking past their door at night when we returned and seeing their lights on, we would have never known. Maybe we lucked out, but Rocking K requests that their guests be respectful up front so I would be surprised if your experience isn't the same. Once in the cottage, though, you basically feel like you're the only ones in the vineyard. It's also gated, go you can feel secure.
- The Bed Was Very Comfortable: We often find beds comfortable to some degree, but they usually end up being too hard or soft and we wake up sore and missing our bed at home. Not this time. This bed was comfy, cozy, and we had no complaints.
- Location: So removed from the world, yet so close! The perfect combination for a getaway, wouldn't you agree? As soon as we were ready to head out to town or go wine tasting at a local winery, we were there in minutes (depending on the destination, of course).
- Clean: That might not cover it, actually... try Pristine!
For the knit-picky:
I'd like to preface this part by saying that we honestly enjoyed our entire stay and weren't dissatisfied with anything. However, in an effort to be fair and point out things that some people might be picky about, I'll say the following:
- No TV/Weak-ish WiFi: Basically restating what I said above. I'm pretty sure they didn't list aTV was included anyway, so it's not really even fair to list it here, but I know some people are hung-ho about their TV time.
- Check-out procedures: Maybe we missed something, but we had trouble remembering when exactly check-out was and what we needed to do. We ended up finding the information online, but we thought it would be with the other paperwork in the room. I also wasn't sure how to open the gate to leave without the remote that I had left behind in the Cottage (after all, it's precious to Char's husband), so I ended up hopping the little wooden fence and punching in the code from the outside. No biggie, and as I said, maybe we just missed something.
- Only about 15-minutes of hot water for showers: This is probably a good thing anyway for water conservation, but that's about the average shower time for my wife, so if she went a little long, she got a little cold. Definitely didn't ruin our experience, though.
That's about all I can think of! All in all, it was an amazing rental with great amenities, at an affordable price. So charming and comfortable, I would love to stay there again (especially since we're about 10 wineries down with over 1,000 to go) and I absolutely recommend it to any couple looking for a getaway!
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|