All reviews the holiday inn ocean view within walking distance restaurants and shops location is great del mar awesome staff closer to the beach third floor comfortable rooms few blocks would highly recommend this hotel an older hotel jacuzzi tub complimentary breakfast southern california breakfast room
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for a wedding. Location was great for the wedding. For some reason I thought this would be much closer to the beach then it was. We did have a nice view of the ocean but it is about a 3/4 mile walk down to the beach --which of course means all uphill on the way back. If you're in any shape it's a fine walk--just not a "few blocks from the beach" kind of hotel. We arrived about 30 minutes before check in and waited in the lobby. Once check in time came around I went back to check on the room and it hadn't been cleaned yet. They did it quickly and we got in our room in 15 minutes. The room was very clean. This is an older hotel that has been renovated. The age shows but the updates are good. Our TV did not work and they weren't able to fix until the next day and we didn't want to move so they gave us a credit off our room rate as compensation which worked for us. Pro's--staff is incredibly friendly. Parking is free and easily available. Breakfast buffet was plentiful and refreshed regularly so hot things were hot. Shower was great pressure and beds and linens were very comfortable. Cons--as hotel is older outlets are a challenge. The lamp one wasn't that stable for plugs so lots of moving furniture to be able to charge devices. While buffet had variety --it was the same every day --sausage and egg disks, bagels English muffins and pastry, fruit, yogurt and oatmeal. They had an awesome pancake making machine. This sounds like a lot but we stayed for 5 days and it would have been nice if they changed up the sausage and egg disks to bacon and scrambled eggs or something. Really just a minor issue. There did seem to be a lot of noise during the day that sounded like kids running around above us but we were on the top floor so not sure what it was. Overall it was a good hotel and I'd stay here again if I had an event nearby.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelgill
Reviewed 22 August 2017

Some others in our group suggested another hotel that was a lower rating on Tripadvisor so we decided to spend a few dollars more and try the Volare. We were glad we did. It was very clean, nice parking, nice lobby, nice people, and a very good room. They are not a brand new hotel but evident they have spent some money to keep it up to date and in good shape. You could hear some street noise but I don't think you can avoid that in San Clemente.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vikingtravellers
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

My showered not work and the toilet was broken and ran all night. Great staff at check in in a great location. Don't know if I will stay here again at least for the price was not worth it when there are other options for the same price range nearby.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Marc R
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

San Clemente is one of my favorite towns and very special to me. Took my teens here for the beach. Hotel has complimentary breakfast which is fine when you are on the go. Within walking distance to shops and restaurants. It is an older property and can use some updating, including the gym. Everyone was helpful. There is a nice sitting area. The pier is just a short drive away. I was married to my kids father at Casa Romantica. It is a museum now and worth the few dollars for a tour and incredible views over the beach. Overall I would recommend this hotel for families or couples who want a clean comfortable room near the beach. The value was excellent.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2017

We stayed at the Volare for a couple nights. Really liked the location but unfortunately we are not planning to ever stay here again due to a very creepy experience. On our 2nd night here, I was unable to sleep due to a very uncomfortable and disturbing sensation in my left ear. An earwig finally came out of my ear in the morning. It really freaked me out! We actually found other bugs on the ceiling and the walls. We notified the front desk. The person we spoke with said that the manager will get in touch with us by phone or email. On our way home, we stopped at an urgent care center to have a doctor check my ear. Guess what? Never heard from the manager. They didn't seem to care.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family