“The fries were good.”
Review of The Independent

The Independent
Reserve with OpenTable
The Independent is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 134 Restaurants in Placerville
Price range: US$9 - US$39
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Serving American Fusion Cuisine
Reviewed 18 November 2018

I hope today was a very isolated experience. Because it was kinda ugly. We stopped in for lunch, a decent size crowd was in the place so I expected service to be a bit slow. Even for the next 80 minute including after the crowd had left. I ordered a sandwich and soup. My wife ordered a sandwich and hot chocolate. The hot chocolate arrived as lukewarm chocolate. Had to send it back. My soup arrived-which I told the waitress that I would like it before the sandwich-lukewarm, both the first time and the second time. Third time, yes! it is kinda hot. Bad news, it made Lipton's box soup taste great. It went back for good. I ordered fries instead, which were very good. The sandwich arrived, 30 minutes after we ordered. I ordered it without mayo, yea, you guessed it. It was slathered with mayo. And then it only took a few minutes for the replacement order, I could not figure that out. When we had finished eating my wife told me that her sandwich arrived rather cool as well. The waitress can with the check, full price. I told him that the service was very slow, i mentioned the soup issue and the kitchen not being able to read the order which said no mayo. He agreed and knocked 25% off the bill.
I would much rather pay full price for a wonderful meal than have this happen. I realize that bad days can happen and I guess that it was our turn in the barrel. But. too many things were wrong. I do hope that the staff gets these issues out of their system soon. And as I mentioned in the title, the fries were good!

1  Thank Voyager45222643063

Reviewed 18 November 2018

Ordered hot chocolate. Got warm chocolate. They did take it back and it came back hot. Ordered soup. Finally came out cold. Sent it back. Came out cold again. Sent it back again. Finally came out warm. Too bad it didn't taste very good.

Got our orders. Mine was cold. I didn't bother sending it back. My husband asked for aioli on the side (I was going to put it on my sandwich). Aioli was on his burger. So he sent that back, too.

Noticed that diners at other tables weren't getting their orders. People at one table were saying that they should have ordered their drinks at the bar instead of having to wait for them at the table. Another diner called over to the waitress to ask when they would be getting their food.

I felt sorry for the waitrees. It was busy but there is no reason why the kitchen should be that backed up or sending out cold food.

And I went to the bathroom. No toilet paper in the stall.

1  Thank jaimexplorer
Reviewed 15 November 2018

Four of us had lunch here recently for the first time . We had great food and service and highly recommend this restaurant . Everything we had was excellent. The Tempura battered fish and chips was much better than traditional beer battered fish and chips. This fish had a light crisp batter. The pastrami sandwich was excellent as were the blackened salmon tacos. The two tacos each had a nice piece of blackened salmon with chipotle aioli which provided a nice kick. They offer turnip fries in addition to regular fires. The turnip fries were excellent. I have never seen them offered elsewhere.
The service was very friendly and attentive. The restaurant has a nice decor with patio seating as an option in good weather.
It is at the end of the main shopping area but well worth finding.

Reviewed 7 November 2018 via mobile

This is my family’s favorite restaurant in Placerville. We were celebrating three birthdays a they had something very special for us for dessert.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 20 October 2018 via mobile

I can’t say enough good things about this place. We had a reservation at 4:30 on a Friday and we were seated immediately. The waiters were very friendly, attentive and informative. Some of our orders were tricky, but our waiter managed to get them all right. We ordered Truffle Mac & Cheese (the best any of us had ever had), sautéed mushrooms, Rib-Eye steak, and filet mignon. All were amazing! The cocktails were also made very well. We sat outside and it was lovely and atmospheric. Although our dinner portion took some time to arrive, it was well worth the wait once it did arrive. My family and I were so impressed and it was the highlight of our trip up to Apple Hill. I highly recommend this place. We will be returning again soon!

Date of visit: October 2018