“Long wait for mediocre and cold food”
Review of The Independent

The Independent
Reserve with OpenTable
The Independent is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 134 Restaurants in Placerville
Price range: US$9 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Serving American Fusion Cuisine
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Ordered hot chocolate. Got warm chocolate. They did take it back and it came back hot. Ordered soup. Finally came out cold. Sent it back. Came out cold again. Sent it back again. Finally came out warm. Too bad it didn't taste very good.

Got our orders. Mine was cold. I didn't bother sending it back. My husband asked for aioli on the side (I was going to put it on my sandwich). Aioli was on his burger. So he sent that back, too.

Noticed that diners at other tables weren't getting their orders. People at one table were saying that they should have ordered their drinks at the bar instead of having to wait for them at the table. Another diner called over to the waitress to ask when they would be getting their food.

I felt sorry for the waitrees. It was busy but there is no reason why the kitchen should be that backed up or sending out cold food.

And I went to the bathroom. No toilet paper in the stall.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Four of us had lunch here recently for the first time . We had great food and service and highly recommend this restaurant . Everything we had was excellent. The Tempura battered fish and chips was much better than traditional beer battered fish and chips. This fish had a light crisp batter. The pastrami sandwich was excellent as were the blackened salmon tacos. The two tacos each had a nice piece of blackened salmon with chipotle aioli which provided a nice kick. They offer turnip fries in addition to regular fires. The turnip fries were excellent. I have never seen them offered elsewhere.
The service was very friendly and attentive. The restaurant has a nice decor with patio seating as an option in good weather.
It is at the end of the main shopping area but well worth finding.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 7 November 2018 via mobile

This is my family’s favorite restaurant in Placerville. We were celebrating three birthdays a they had something very special for us for dessert.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 20 October 2018 via mobile

I can’t say enough good things about this place. We had a reservation at 4:30 on a Friday and we were seated immediately. The waiters were very friendly, attentive and informative. Some of our orders were tricky, but our waiter managed to get them all right. We ordered Truffle Mac & Cheese (the best any of us had ever had), sautéed mushrooms, Rib-Eye steak, and filet mignon. All were amazing! The cocktails were also made very well. We sat outside and it was lovely and atmospheric. Although our dinner portion took some time to arrive, it was well worth the wait once it did arrive. My family and I were so impressed and it was the highlight of our trip up to Apple Hill. I highly recommend this place. We will be returning again soon!

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank TravelBuggy26
Reviewed 7 October 2018

Went for dinner early this week with friends. Does not matter whether you are there for lunch or dinner, service and the food are always spot on. Try the ribeye for a dinner treat or the burger for lunch--you won't be sorry. And if you are up for it, try one of their specialty drinks. Great place for dinner, for an occasion or because you are hungry!

Date of visit: October 2018