1,741 results
All reviews coliseum pool villa pool golf course butler service ocean view bungalow coliseum restaurant north villas andrea restaurant golf club gelato gas fireplace private patio the ritz huge bathroom pool service four seasons turn down service
Reviewed 2 January 2017

I have been to some very luxurious resorts, but I am not sure I have been to one with this level of perfection in the overall quality of the common areas, grounds, pool, and rooms. Every blade of grass, every sidewalk seems like it has received individual attention. A few highlights...the clubhouse commands a spectacular ocean view and looks like it has been there many years, despite its relatively recent construction. Food is consistently excellent and, though expensive, not outrageous. The rooms are huge and have beautiful high ceilings. Our room did have a bit of an ocean view from the terrace, though it was not a spectacular ocean view. Service was excellent, though I was not a particularly demanding guest. I did call for ice each evening and it was delivered almost immediately. Service at the pool was great.I will say that I stayed here for a business conference so I paid a significantly reduced rate. At regular rates, it would be just as luxurious but does not come inexpensively. While Pelican Hill does all of its primary offerings extremely well (rooms, spa, golf, pool, dining), it is not really a beach-focused hotel if that is what you are looking for. Although it does provide hourly shuttle service to Crystal Cove, I personally would say that if the beach is your primary focus, I might choose the Montage. Having said that, if you love golf, a luxurious pool or spa and cocktails and dining with a gorgeous ocean view, you cannot go wrong at Pelican Hill.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank iowaguy
Reviewed 28 December 2016

My husband and I stayed just a few nights at this resort as a splurge. Wow what an elegant place. The grounds are beautiful. We enjoyed views from the restaurants and the room. Yes, the ocean is far, but the view is still amazing. Our room was huge and had a large balcony. We enjoyed the restaurants. The food and the service were excellent. We played the golf course and took in the beautiful ocean views. The golf staff was very accommodating. This resort is expensive, but lived up to our expectations!

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank J p
Reviewed 28 December 2016

The Pelican Hill Resort blew us away and far exceeded our expectations. We were looking for luxury resort and this place definitely fit the bill. The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. The Coliseum pool is beautiful and is as advertised - we spent a lot of time there. We were in one bedroom bungalow suite with an ocean view, and it was one of the nicest rooms we've ever stayed in. The room was enormous with very high end finishes. The terrace was also huge and provided us with a private place to enjoy the amazing views. We never wanted to leave the room.

We stayed there just before Christmas, and got to enjoy the festive atmosphere while were were there - complete with a GIANT gingerbread house /train track and Santa who did nightly story readings beside it.

We loved it so much that we didn't want to leave the property at all once we got there - in fact we added an extra night but had to move units and ended up moving to the Villas up the hill for our final night. The 2 bedroom villa is a much different experience. The space was way more than we we needed but we were happy to get one more night at the resort before flying out. We preferred the bungalows to the villa though.

Although the resort overlooks the ocean, it is still quite far from the beach. The giant pool will make you forget that pretty quickly though

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank TorontoRam
Reviewed 28 December 2016

My favorite Southern California band, the Beach Boys, sang about “Good Vibrations.” It could be the theme song for Pelican Hill Resort, a magnificent Mediterranean retreat (500+ acres) on the golden California coastline.

The one of a kind resort is an eye-popping blend of tropical plants and trees, California flowers and European gardens; verdant green abounds. They use only the finest Italian stone, marble and design which they blend with California woods, rattan furniture, plush rooms, and a circular pool the size of a small lake. The resort evokes a picture-perfect small village with the added benefits of a pool, a spa, golf and tennis, and majestic views of the glorious Pacific Ocean. The eating includes superb food at Andrea (their signature restaurant), and a poolside grill with a vast circular patio that overlooks the ocean. In short, it is La Dolce Vita California (the sweet life California style).

Unlike many other five star resorts, comfort and ease abound. From the relaxed easy setting of the living room off the lobby with wall size European tapestries, to the fire stained Tuscan glass plates, to the ocean coral sculpture, to the green stone vases with orchids, and the California impressionist paintings the feeling of relaxed peace and comfort is both subtle and obvious. You are surrounded by beautiful art and object from around the world. The international crowd (from a “United Nations of countries”) play and enjoy the California “good vibrations” in theirs sneakers, jeans and shorts. Though very elegant, no “tuxedos” are necessary, only bathing suits instead.

I was particularly impressed with the warm gracious hospitality and the youthful staff’s desire to please. From Hunter Warkentien, Front Desk Manager to those at Andrea restaurant, servers Stephen and Marissa, bussers Liz and Leah, Hostess Amanda, the pervading feeling I got was that I was welcome, wanted and appreciated (as a lawyer in Beverly Hills that is not a feeling I receive often from the world at large).

And so… for all of you international travelers who come to the golden shores of California and seek the epitome of the California lifestyle please consider adding Pelican Hill Resort Newport Beach to your list. In the words of the Dave Clark Five, you’ll be “Glad all Over”.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Gary W
Reviewed 28 December 2016

We can't say enough about this property. It is luxury and hits the mark in every way. The service is impressive, the rooms are updated, comfortable and beautiful. The lobby, restaurants and pool are amazing. The golf course is spectacular. I agree with some that the ocean views in the rooms are not impressive - sort of off in the distance. Absolutely love this property.

Trip type: Travelled on business