“Great Mexican Food”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

A cozy restaurant just a block off the main road. Arrived shortly after 8 on a Monday evening - thought they might have been closing up, but they gave us the warmest welcome - and plenty of time to enjoy our freshly-made meal with a Negra Modelo after a long day of driving. The chili verde rellenos were a treat with their specialty simmered pork & sauce covering a normally vegetarian dish, and my husband enjoyed his carne asada.
Might have gone back for more on our second night in Mariposa, but wanted to explore more of the offerings in this charming little town. This was our favorite.

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

We were given nachos and salsa immediately when we say down and the server was happy to bring is some sour cream and guacamole when we requested it. I then had a vegetarian chimi changa, which was very yummy, but rather a lot to eat. My husband had a plata of some sort which had a bit more variety and which he enjoyed.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Went to Mariposa to have lunch today. Our favorite restaurant was closed so we decided Mexican food sounded great! Wrong! I ordered chicken fajitas. I asked the server to hold the rice and just give me the beans and tortillas that came with the meal. When I took the first bite, all I could taste was the saltiness of it and another flavor that just didn’t taste right. Plus, the fajitas didn’t look appealing. I asked my husband to taste it and he said it was way too salty and tasted sweet too. I told our server that I couldn’t eat them because they were way too salty. He said, “must be the teriyaki sauce we put in them.” WHAT? Teriyaki sauce in fajitas. I guess anything is possible. But these fajitas were the worse. He asked me if I wanted something else, I asked if they had carne asada tacos and he stated no. They didn’t have cocido (beef soup) or albondiga soup either. My husband ordered 2 ground beef tacos, and had just taken a bite so, I ordered one taco. When the server left, my husband said that I shouldn’t have ordered a taco. He said the meat was mushy and it had too much of one seasoning. He said it tasted like cumin. When my taco arrived, I drenched it in Tapatio sauce (which I got up and got myself), because their salsa for the chips was so runny and had long strips of tomato (not appealing). My husband did the same. When our check arrived, I noticed there were 2 unknown charges on the bill. I ask our server what the charges were for. He said, “I charged you for the beans and tortillas.” I said the beans and tortillas were part of the fajita meal. He said, “if it was any other server, they would have charged you for the fajitas.” I told him, I didn’t think so, not when the food is below par. I paid the bill and didn’t leave a tip. He got his tip when he charged me for the beans with no flavor and cold tortillas. I should have had him reimburse me for the rice I had him hold. I am pretty flexible and generous when we go to a restaurant because I know the servers work hard and rely on their tips. But this server demonstrated the worse customer service at a restaurant with bad food to boot! We will never eat at this faux Mexican restaurant again. Hopefully our favorite restaurant is opened when we return to Mariposa.

1  Thank viviangross
Reviewed 19 March 2018

Went here because the 1850 was closed on Monday. What a pleasant surprise! Server guy was super friendly with a big smile on his face. He seemed to honestly enjoy his job, made the atmosphere very welcoming.
We are not experts on mexican food (nothing authentic to be found in our home) but this was very tasty. Good selection of mexican beers too. Reasonably priced.
Small place with welcoming service.

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

It was a nice restaurant. Offers nice food and we had a great meal there. I would definitely go back there.